Thread: Where's a good place to tie into RUN power?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    89 5-speed

Where's a good place to tie into RUN power?

I'm mounting a battery isolator solenoid and want to have it turn on when the car is in run but not in start. Where is a good place to grab this? Anywhere under the dash would be fine.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Where's a good place to tie into RUN power?

Assuming you're only using this circuit to power up the coil part of the solenoid, then you will have multiple choices. Take a test light and find a circuit that powers up to your satisfaction and tie it into that. Just be sure you're using a continuous duty solenoid and not a momentary one. Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    89 5-speed

Thanks for the reply. It is for the coil part and it's made for this purpose so it should be ok.

I was able to find what I need here, but I'd feel better if I had some idea what this wire was for. Something to do with AC perhaps? My van never had it. There is a big connector behind the glove box with only this one jumper connecting one pin to another. Looks factory, not some previous owner hack.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Reducto; 04-09-2012 at 06:36 PM.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    89 5-speed

Scratch that - I hunted through the wiring diagram and it looks like the blue wire on the rear heater on/off switch in the back will give me what I need, right next to where I mounted the solenoid. And I can use the dash heater switch to control it.

My Van(s):
    1989 4wd 5speed

Yes, that is nice.
    I used the wire to the rear heater blower for my electric radiator fans' relay. It's conveniently located in the pillar behind the driver's seat, and has the added benefit of being on only when the key is in the RUN position. Then I can listen to the radio with the key in the ACC position, and not have the fans draining the battery, but I can also turn to the RUN position to have the fans cool the engine bay when it's stopped.