Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: ELECTRIC (power) WINDOWS information....

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '86 2wdAuto made it to 490k,now in van 'heaven' '88 panel 4x4 standard,,stolen in Tijuana jan 2012 '87 4x4 auto...new paint, now on th'road! '86 2wd auto 360k,,mint condition,had some fun, needs engi

Re: ELECTRIC (power) WINDOWS information....

Quote Originally Posted by Lois85 View Post
    Hey! I hit the jackpot with finding manual window regulators in Denver! Woohoo! Now I am curious if there is a thread about converting my electric windows to manual windows. I am assuming that this shouldn't be too difficult a task, but I love all the info I can get!

....I'd be curious as well.
    I've done a fair bit of parting these vans over the years, so generally just switch to emanuel doors when I'm having issues with the lectrics.
    To simply swith the mechanisms would save on repainting the doors. <;~]

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

There's a guy out in Delta BC that does the conversions for about $150 per side when I spoke to him about 3-4 years ago, he's a car junkie and has around 200 cars stored away on 3 properties. right now he's selling 3 vans on CL so you might be able to contact him to get an idea and pass it on to us!!!???

JDM

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '86 2wdAuto made it to 490k,now in van 'heaven' '88 panel 4x4 standard,,stolen in Tijuana jan 2012 '87 4x4 auto...new paint, now on th'road! '86 2wd auto 360k,,mint condition,had some fun, needs engi

..What yer really telling me is that it can be done,, IF I ever need to, as I've got 2 sets of doors with manual windows.

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Yes I’m thinking’s that the window regulator bolt pattern is the same for both power and non power windows, you would just need to cut a hold in the door panel for the window cranks or find a flat flat door panel without the integrated armrest and power window/lock options that may get in the way of the cranks.

JDM

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyyota 4WD Van

Getting back to window/door lock switches, I've read where several "fixed" the burnt switch contacts with "sandpaper". As Tim as alluded, this is temporary.

Why?

The switches deteriorate due to arcing. Arcing gets worse the rougher the contact surface is, and its often mostly on one side. The arc starts from any pointed edge and sanding lines leave many.

Any abrasive needs to be, or finish with the finest grit you can get. Crocus cloth is decent but 400 or even 600 grit will work. Finer is better.

Lastly you want to polish those contacts. I just did mine and a Dremel small diameter buffing wheel makes it into the pockets just barely; be careful with the toggle pieces; they get hot fast. I used no polishing compound, just the naked wheel.

I did not use any class of sandpaper or crocus cloth; I used a very fine alumina sharpening stone for all except the main switch body contacts as those were inaccessible. For those I used a sharp scraper. A dental scraper can work here.

Attempting a pic:

Failed again....
    Last edited by outlawmws; 10-23-2023 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Pic?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quality switch contacts are also coated/plated with special materials that help resist arcing and minimize carbon deposits. Over time they can wear out. Using a buffing wheel for a short period is probably okay or perhaps try using a pencil eraser, but never sand or file switch contacts. Tim