Thread: From Hot Soak to Stalling

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota Van LE

From Hot Soak to Stalling

Hey TVT,

I think this is my first post... I've got a 1989 2WD LE Van that was experiencing, what I thought to be, hot soak. After perusing the forums, I decided to swap the FPR on a hunch. After doing this, the van was running fine, as it was before, for about two days. Then, on the way back from some errands, I got an intermittent CEL, then stalled out at a red light. Thinking it could be the non-OEM FPR I threw in there, I swapped the original back in in the middle of the parking lot I was able to roll her into (would not recommend lol). I'm not sure if this swap is what got me going enough to get her home, but it is still stalling out after the engine reaches temperature. I checked my code, and I'm getting what I believe is code 22 for water temperature sensor (two blinks, pause, two blinks). I've got a new one of these coming from Rock Auto, so we'll see if that helps once it's here, but I wanted to ask the hive mind if a failed WTS could cause stalling at running temp. Could a failing WTS be the cause of my intermittent starting issues as well? I've grounded the temperature switch, and read that the 89's have a higher-pressure FPR to combat heat soak. Still pretty new to doing my own maintenance as the PO is also a mechanic, but after he failed to notice my alternator was failing after repeated visits to address low voltage, leaving me stranded on July 4th, I've made the effort to become more handy.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota Van LE

Re: From Hot Soak to Stalling

Welp I found the WTS at a local Advanced Auto, popped her in and CEL is gone and so is the stall out! Still gotta give her the ol' test drive, but hopefully it was just the WTS. Thanks TVT for the info on reading CEL codes and socket sizes, saved me another sketchy trip to the mechanic!

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    (2) 1989 2WD LE VAN Wagons

Are you sure you swapped the FPR and not the Fuel Pulsation damper? The FPR is on the back of the fuel rail in the rear of the engine and the pulsation damper is in the front of the rail. The reason I ask is the FPR is usually only accessible once the plenum is removed to expose access to the entire rail

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota Van LE

Definitely the FPR, followed Tim’s walkthrough. Didn’t have to pull anything off to get to it, just a couple hours of pretzeling and cursing. Still having some intermittent starting issues, the ol’ click-no-start. But after swapping the WTS she’s running better than ever. Gonna see if I can’t check the fuel pressure and progress from there.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota Van LE

So I found an OEM FPR and threw that in, but still having seemingly heat related no starts. I’ve grounded the temperature switch, which also hasn’t helped. Feel like I’m at a dead end, anyone have any ideas?