Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: overheating, looking for input

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 4x4 auto LE '87 4x4 auto DX '88 4x4 5 speed

Re: 4X4 auto overheating, looking for input

Thanks for that clarification, Tim. I've got my front end up in the air right now, doing brakes, so I think I will work on that valve at the same time.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

It's been my experience that lubing the cables does the most good. Tri-Flow lube works well for this. Disconnect the cable, then seal the little red delivery tube to the cable jacket with plastic wrap. If you wrap it nice and tight it will allow you to inject the lube right up through the cable. I usually spray until it drips out the other end of the cable. I've never tried it from the business end of the cables before, but I bet it might work. If you already got the van on jack stands I'd give that a try. The other cable (for the airmix damper) terminates near the gas pedal. That one might be a little more difficult. Good luck. Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 4x4 auto LE '87 4x4 auto DX '88 4x4 5 speed

I'll have to give the lube a try. The valve seems to be moving no problem, so perhaps it is the cable(s). Our Subaru is getting us around just fine, now, but there is a big storm coming (maybe 5', here in the Tahoe Basin, by Monday!), so the van does a better job due to more clearance and weight.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

The cables are a known problem. The cables dig into the outer sheath (particularly on the bends) and when the grooves get deep enough the cables bind. The correct fix would be to replace the cables, but unfortunately none of these are available anymore. At this point all you can do is put some lube in there (hopefully before the control assy breaks). This is a good band-aid and will remedy the issue for 1-2 years.............then you'll need to do it again. BTW, the water valves and the upper control assy's are no longer available either . Tim

My Van(s):
    1988 4x4 Van Formerly: 1986 Cargo Van Parted Out: 1989 4x4 Van, 1987 4x4 Van, 1986 Van

Quote Originally Posted by User1 View Post

Name:  DSCN0778.jpg
Views: 1290
Size:  88.2 KB

The second row is of 90925-05068 part that I was going to use if I couldn't find the correct ones.

The bottom row valve takes a 24mm.
    Shot in the dark but, aside from being 24mm rather than 19mm, does the 90925-05068 valve function the same as the 90925-05017 valve that our vans call for? I checked out around 8 Toyotas of similar vintage today in my yard, and was only able to find the former. I figured it was worth a try at $4 versus I believe the $50 plus the new ones are from the dealer.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van 1984 2wd

Re: overheating, looking for input

Hello everyone, I have a question about the BVSV.

I was trying to find it in my van and I think I don't have one, can be possible. Please see attached pics.
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  92.3 KB

These two hoses on the left pics go direct to distributor.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  100.1 KB

Is it somewhere else and I can't see it? If it's missing can I add it in my '84 van? Do I need it because I can see the part in the manual book.

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  93.0 KB
    Name:  12.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  92.0 KB

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van 1984 2wd

Here a youtube video with 3 different videos from my van.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjGsGE0yCns

As you see in the videos, my van has only 2 metal pipes going from my TB direct to my vacuum distributor, instead of having 4 metal pipes. Also I don't have a BVSV.

I passed the smoke test with no problem and van runs fine. My question is, why is it like that, any ideas?

My Van(s):
    1988 4x4 Van Formerly: 1986 Cargo Van Parted Out: 1989 4x4 Van, 1987 4x4 Van, 1986 Van

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Gates may require some trimming to get the "almost proper" fit. Keep in mind 2wds & 4wds use different hoses........except the Gates, I think the uppers are interchangeable from one to another (just a little more trimming depending on which one you're working on). Tim

GATES Part # 21173 Molded Coolant Hose; 1 1/4" x 21 13/16" Does Not Contain Spring
    Cut to fit; Lower; 4WD $15.72
    Has anyone actually purchased and/or successfully used the Gates 21173 or the ACDelco 24105L (listed on RockAuto as a similar part) on their vans? I ordered both from RockAuto and what I received was...... not radiator hoses. The good news is, both parts are the same, the ACDelco version being about $10 cheaper than the Gates. The bad news? These are very small, molded heater hoses, and are not even remotely what these 4x4 vans need.

It's odd, given that the photos and hose dimensions listed on RockAuto match up with what we need and are listed as compatible parts for a lower radiator hose. I'm obviously going to return these hoses as they are useless, I'm just wondering if anyone can confirm that either the Gates or the ACDelco have worked for them before I go down the rabbit hole of reordering the same parts from a different supplier. FWIW, both hoses have the correct part numbers affixed to them, so I'm at a loss here.

A brief google shows that the OEM Toyota part (
    16572-73040) as being discontinued and unavailable, so as it stands now, flexihose is the only viable option I know of for us 4x4 folks.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    87 LE 4WD Manual

Quote Originally Posted by AD2101 View Post

Has anyone actually purchased and/or successfully used the Gates 21173 or the ACDelco 24105L (listed on RockAuto as a similar part) on their vans? I ordered both from RockAuto and what I received was...... not radiator hoses. The good news is, both parts are the same, the ACDelco version being about $10 cheaper than the Gates. The bad news? These are very small, molded heater hoses, and are not even remotely what these 4x4 vans need.
    Strange, I ordered Gates 21173 from RockAuto back in July '22 and it was fine (I think I did trim it a little to fit better), but definitely the right size and shape.

(Gates 21737 for the upper, ordered from Amazon).

My Van(s):

I was really hoping this was just a bad part # because this is what I received:

Name:  IMG_20230223_162335428.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  97.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20230223_162349571.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  84.2 KB

I tried to get the respective part numbers visible on both but, without getting into exact measurements, the ID on these hoses is smaller than my thumb, and I've been frequently ridiculed my whole life for having slender fingers and thumbs.

These came from two different RockAuto warehouses so I guess I'll write them and see if there's some explanation for what's going on here. Thanks for the prompt response btw, Gareth!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

That's funny, must be some mis-labeling going on??? I just pulled one of these from my parts inventory and it's definitely a radiator hose. Here's a picture of it: