Thread: Body Bodywork Rust Problem Areas

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    91 Previa 5 Speed M/T Alltrac, 93 Previa 5 Speed M/T RWD

Body Bodywork Rust Problem Areas

While many rust problems are quite obvious, there are some susceptible areas which are hidden and might go unnoticed until you've got holes rotted through. I thought I'd post a few of the hidden areas which I am aware of.

i) Rear arch behind sliding door.... The small panel hides a dark little secret. Dirt and junk gets trapped behind it and helps start the rusting process.

DSCN4658.jpg

The plastic cover piece comes off after removing the 2 screws in the wheel arch then popping straight out. Of course, the plastic tabs are designed too weakly. Note to Toyota engineers - the customer does not expect nor want this cover to be a one use item.

DSCN4659.jpg

The same area on the other side of the van does not seem to be quite as susceptible to rust.

ii) Front arch, door lower weather strip area.... There are drain holes behind the weather strip at both bottom front and rear ends of the doors. These are prone to clogging. I discovered this initially when my front door made sloshing noises when I opened and closed it. It had filled with water and there was a constant slow seep onto the body at the front wheel arch, with predictable results. This pic is several years after the initial re-painting.

DSCN4661.jpg

Here is a pic of one of the drain holes. They need to be kept clean...

DSCN4660.jpg

Even then, the water is held to some degree by the weather strip and you get this behind it...

DSCN4666.jpg

The prongs on those plastic retainers are far longer than necessary to hold the strip firmly and it's a bugger to get it off without tearing, even when you're stretching it carefully side to side. If I went in there again I'd clip a little off the tips off them things. EDIT: maybe the clips come out of the door easier than the strip comes out of the clips?

iii) Rear fender. This gets really bad without you knowing it. See here.
    https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...-Fender-Bumper

Please list other hidden problem areas if you know them.
    Last edited by Jonny; 08-19-2020 at 06:06 PM.