Thread: 1986 with 4YE Wont run

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van

1986 with 4YE Wont run

I'm new to the site and I'm looking for some advice. I have a 1986 RWD with a 4YE that i cannot keep running, I installed an external fuel pump. Fuel is getting to the filter and fuel rail. The van will start with the help of ether sprayed into the engine, but the van will not continue to run. It has compression, it has fuel, it has air. I'm left clueless, i've checked my fuses they are all good. I'm not sure if maybe theres a sensor? or loose wire? is there a special trick to get it to run? any help would be greatly appreciated!

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Re: 1986 with 4YE Wont run

Have you checked codes? Also, these need a fuel pump capable of around 40psi. They are also controlled by an electrical circuit tied to the computer, the airflow meter, and several relays. My questions would be, do you have an external pump capable of these pressures and is it powered by the fuel pump circuit or just a battery hot wire and if yes to those, have you checked the full function of the circuit?

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    (2) 1989 2WD LE VAN Wagons

Why not replace the in tank OEM fuel pump?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van

Thanks for the reply! I have the pump wired into the original circuit, and the circuit is fine. i'm starting to believe there is a deeper electrical issue i've yet to figure out.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van

Quote Originally Posted by JPERL View Post
    Why not replace the in tank OEM fuel pump?
    that was originally the plan but the Original tank had multiple holes so i dont feel comfortable re using it and i've yet to be able to find a OEM replacement tank

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Sounds like your next check should be to verify fuel to the cylinders. You may have fuel to the rail and the injectors but it may not be getting through the injectors to the cylinders. Sparks plugs should be wet with fuel after repeated cranking with no start. If they are dry you may have injector issues. We're getting into the realm of existing threads at this point and you'll be better off doing some searching and posting additional questions in the appropriate threads.