Thread: ...how to remove captains chairs from '86???

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '86 2wdAuto made it to 490k,now in van 'heaven' '88 panel 4x4 standard,,stolen in Tijuana jan 2012 '87 4x4 auto...new paint, now on th'road! '86 2wd auto 360k,,mint condition,had some fun, needs engi

...how to remove captains chairs from '86???

oh puhleeze,,go easy on me,,
    I can change-out an engine,,,spliff a timing chain like anyone,,
    ,,,or re/re a heater core in no time,,,,

,,,but how the fark do you remove the rear captains chairs from an '86???

....I've been trying t'think like a japanese engineer
    ,,and I'm sure there's a nifty quick-release somewhere....

...in th'kindest way,,,,just puhleeeeeze tell me whut ah need t'know

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: ...how to remove captains chairs from '86???

It should be bolted to the floor with 4 bolts (one in each corner). Some style of seats have a plastic garnish around the base. If it's got that, there's a seam with a sliding fastener (no tools needed). Just slide the plastic fastener up then the garnish can be removed. After that's out of the way you will see the bolts. They have 14mm heads and go down through the carpet into the floor pan. Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '86 2wdAuto made it to 490k,now in van 'heaven' '88 panel 4x4 standard,,stolen in Tijuana jan 2012 '87 4x4 auto...new paint, now on th'road! '86 2wd auto 360k,,mint condition,had some fun, needs engi

uh,okay...thanks.....didn't have long to look,,and it was dusk
    ,,,saw the bolts-just thought there'd be a quick release,,it's a Toyo,afterall

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yeah, the bench seats have quick-release points but to my knowledge the single seats don't. If you're set up with an air ratchet they come out pretty quick. If all you have is a crescent wrench you'll be busy for awhile. Tim

My Van(s):
    '87 Toyota LE auto 4WD Van 238000 '71 Westfalia Euro version (missed it for years)

Quote Originally Posted by micah202 View Post
    ,,and I'm sure there's a nifty quick-release somewhere....

The hardest part is the plastic garnish, and we're talking an '86 utilitarian vehicle here. Nothing quick release I found on mine that's quick-release, except maybe the engine compartment. I'm debating putting this plastic garnish back on when I do put the seats back in too.

micah202, looks like everyone of your vans would have a rather interesting story to tell about their lives. Would be interesting to hear it!

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by User1 View Post
    The hardest part is the plastic garnish, and we're talking an '86 utilitarian vehicle here. Nothing quick release I found on mine that's quick-release, except maybe the engine compartment. I'm debating putting this plastic garnish back on when I do put the seats back in too.

micah202, looks like everyone of your vans would have a rather interesting story to tell about their lives. Would be interesting to hear it!
    okay they're out--nothing like glasses and daylight to see what's there.
    ...still annoyed they don't have quick-release like the benches--I do a lot of configuration shifting

...yeh this van was interesting,,it belonged to a long since retired obsessive-compulsive -instructor- of toyota mechanics--REALLY!!............every corner you look,,there's some extra peice of insulation or protection on wires and hoses,,,-everything- is OEM,,,,even the differential has synthetic in it--couldn't believe it when I saw -clear- fluid in the diff ,,,,,,,,,the old guy hadn't driven it for a few years,but regularly started it up,,,and hand polished it,,,so it's quite incredible the body condition as well,,,,as is the immaculate interior--he must have had a seat-cover from day one,as even the driver seat is posh,,,,,with 370,000km on it,,,,I'll likely sell it once I've gotten a 4x4 sorted again

..here's the story on the other one... http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...dry-in-Tijuana
    Last edited by micah202; 04-16-2012 at 12:33 AM.

My Van(s):
    '87 Toyota LE auto 4WD Van 238000 '71 Westfalia Euro version (missed it for years)

Would love to see the van with 370k. I'm not interested in buying it, just wana see the condition. The baja stolen van was sad. I have a steering wheel lock that I keep in the van. I wonder if that would be enough going down there? I'm only about 120 miles from TJ so if you're ever in the area and in trouble, don't hesitate.

This was a good pic in your flickr page,
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/5910300...ream/lightbox/

I guess you guys made it? All the pics looked great, accept getting stuck! I could see how that would have been deceiving. I couldn't tell if that guy that helped you had a winch or just pulled you out? That reminds me to get some of those grated platforms, the off-road community must have a name for those things. That and a small hand winch would be pretty much what I would be relying on.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

........... The baja stolen van was sad. I have a steering wheel lock that I keep in the van. I wonder if that would be enough going down there? ...........
    ...had a steering lock on AND a hidden killswitch--I figure they must have been one ahead and just hooked-up and pulled the van to 'safety' before dealing with it..........cars dissapear ~dozen that week from the local mall in DAYTIME
    .....an alarm -would- have helped..
    ...and I'm considering getting one of 'em trailer wheel clamp-locks,,,maybe 4
    Last edited by micah202; 04-16-2012 at 09:12 PM.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

That's a great alarm!

My Van(s):

I ordered one!!!

micah202, looks like if and when I go down south, I'll lock the van with the wheel turned to the left or right and the steering wheel lock on. Turn it like you're parked on a hill!

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

I thought it was a joke!
    looks like if and when I go down south
    ...so that's how the alarm works

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

I ordered one!!!

micah202, looks like if and when I go down south, I'll lock the van with the wheel turned to the left or right and the steering wheel lock on. Turn it like you're parked on a hill!
    ...not a bad idea,,,,though if you just avoid stopping in Tijuana,,you'll be amazed how peaceful things are down the rest of Baja