Thread: Cruise control actuator issues?

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

Cruise control randomly turns off

Hello TVT! Its been a while! I'm finally getting around to troubleshooting my cruise control. Initially it wouldn't turn on, and when I had the dash apart I noticed the switch had been left unplug. Now the switch lights up and turns the system on, however, after taking the van on a test drive this morning (I pulled the cover off the actuator next to the clutch pedal) I was watching the actuator work and it intermittently kicks off for no apparent reason.

Initially I set it in 4th at about 40mph and it was humming along nicely. I tested the set, coast, accel/decel functions all from the stick and it was working great. However, after about 15 mins of driving, it would pull the lever and set, but then randomly (sometimes 5 seconds, 30 seconds, or even a minute, but seemed to get worse/shorter the more i did it) it would kick off and the lever on the actuator that pulls the cable would snap back into place.

Name:  F52A1A33-4342-4AEC-A7F9-65D33F69255E.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  20.1 KB

I pulled the actuator from the van and pulled on the cable with my hand, it was clean and smooth. I popped the actuator lid open and spun it with my hand and again, it looked actually very clean and worked smoothly. Here is a video of it open

For reference, I've owned the van for 4 years and never used the cruise, so I'm not sure the last time it was used! With the switch being unplugged when I bought it, I'm not sure the PO ever used it!

What should I be looking for next?
    Last edited by spacecruisers; 09-07-2020 at 08:20 PM.
    Space Cruisers - Cruising Across The Galaxy