Thread: Gas Cap - Vented or Unvented?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    -

Gas Cap - Vented or Unvented?

I <cough> need a new gas cap but found conflicting comments on vented vs. unvented.

Found the Toyota OEM part - seems common to pretty much every Toyota 82-88.. but no mention if vented or not:.

https://parts.toyota.com/p/Toyota_19...731012140.html

My previous cap was unvented (pssshtt sounds when opening) but was a replacement and not sure is was right. '87 Cargo 2wd MT.

My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 5 speed dlx 1987 4x4 5 speed cargo 1987 4x4 5 speed LE 1987 2wd 5 speed cargo conversion 1989 2wd auto cargo parts van

Re: Gas Cap - Vented or Unvented?

i would guess unvented as well, i also get the pssshht when undoing my cap...and the emissions place tests that it doesnt leak either....there is a vent on the tank top in case of big pressure i guess...hmmm lots of guessing in this reply ha

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van LE 4x4 5spd, on 30x9.50R15s, boosted to 16PSI

The van needs an unvented gas cap. The tank is vented through the charcoal canister.

Vented caps were phased out in the 70's due to emissions, fires, spills, smell, etc.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    -

Unvented it is!

I (like many others) suffer a bit from hot-soak - though if I had the wrong cap it might make things worse w/ fuel pump working against a vacuum as the level dropped... but no such easy fix.

Thanks again. I appreciate y'all taking the time to respond, even to mundane questions such as this.