Thread: '89 Master Ace Radio/Speaker Replacement

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 Master Ace Surf

'89 Master Ace Radio/Speaker Replacement

I've recently picked up an '89 Master Ace from Japan that was well taken care of. No mechanical issues aside from downshifting to 2nd. Looking into that separately.

The main issue is the radio. I can plug an aux cord in and get the front driver speaker to play intermittently. Otherwise it doesn't really work. My guess is the radio needs to be replaced, as well as the speakers. I've already found a thread with the exact speaker sizes I need (at least for the front doors and rear pillars, if there are any more speakers please let me know).

If I want to replace the radio, will any double DIN work? Do I need an installation kit? HOW do I get the thing OUT?

Thanks =)

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 Master Ace Surf

Re: '89 Master Ace Radio/Speaker Replacement

Well, I figured it out on my own. Wanted to post pics in case anyone else has the same question.

I took out the two screws on the front dash panel around the instrument cluster and then pulled it carefully from the remaining tabs. Screw locations shown in red, tabs in yellow.

Name:  InkedDash out_LI.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  97.0 KB

Next I removed the front trim panel around the radio and climate controls. This one was a bit tricky since it's not the beefiest thing and there are 3 tabs in hard to reach places. I removed the two front screws, then removed the ash trash and ash tray top plate (2 more screws) to reach in and push the tabs from the back.

Name:  InkedFront panel out_LI.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  96.5 KB

Finally you can access the radio mounting bracket, you just need to remove 4 screws. Easy!

I'll follow up with the install once I get everything in.