normally when the resistor is shot, the front blower will only work on high. My blower only works on high. However, I bought a new resistor and it still only blows on high.

The previous idiot...I mean previous owner...altered the wiring for reasons I know not. The resistor wiring is untouched, but the wiring to the blower itself was cut and the connector removed, and an entirely new wire installed that runs to the blower. I'm guessing (and only guessing, because I am not in possession of electrical know-how) that the resistor might be completely bypassed, therefore installing a new one did nothing.

I know there is also a blower switch somewhere that sometimes burns out, but I've never heard of that causing all of the lower speeds to go out while leaving high speed intact. That's usually resistor. And getting at the switch isn't fun, so I'm not itching to try.

Given my limited electrical know how, is there a simple way to test whether the resistor has simply been bypassed? If it has i could then contemplate whether I have the smarts to remedy that....I suppose tracing the new wire to the blower might be a first step.