Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: front blower mystery-resistor bypass?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    91 Previa

Re: front blower mystery-resistor bypass?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
    Finding the faulty component is still necessary. Check out whether the switch is bad - it's usually the pigtail connector contacts which burn up - and decide from there. This thread also has switch and dash disassembly info...
    https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...=switch+blower
    Jonny, I checked out the thread you linked, and have to say how impressed I am with your post #7. I went a different way, disconnecting all of the lever cables so that i could pull the HVAC control assembly and work on it. Your approach -- removing the switch without removing the HVAC assembly -- was very nice, and the write-up was terrific.

I will say, though, having gone to all that work (either way), I would just spend the $50 or so (at Autozone) for a new switch, rather than trying to repair the old one or put in a used one.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    97 Previa DX SC AWD...alive! 95 Previa LE SC AWD (RIP) 93 Previa LE AWD (rustbucket w/ no reverse...parts van) 91 Previa LE AWD (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
    Finding the faulty component is still necessary. Check out whether the switch is bad - it's usually the pigtail connector contacts which burn up - and decide from there. This thread also has switch and dash disassembly info...
    https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...=switch+blower
    Yeah I'll get around to it eventually. Thanks for the guidance.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1993 Previa 2WD

Quote Originally Posted by John Kaufmann View Post
    Jonny, I checked out the thread you linked, and have to say how impressed I am with your post #7. I went a different way, disconnecting all of the lever cables so that i could pull the HVAC control assembly and work on it. Your approach -- removing the switch without removing the HVAC assembly -- was very nice, and the write-up was terrific.

I will say, though, having gone to all that work (either way), I would just spend the $50 or so (at Autozone) for a new switch, rather than trying to repair the old one or put in a used one.
    props to you for figuring out how to unhook all of those cables to take the whole control panel out... there's not a lot of room there, and I didn't bother trying because putting it back in would probably be harder if I did manage to get them out

I just took apart the thing while it's still in the van.. it's not hard to get the fan switch out... mine was burned out too... it's usually the contacts inside the switch that gets corroded or oxidized and cause high resistance, which in turn burns up that pig tail... I found a good pigtail from the junk yard, cleaned and put a nice glob of silicone grease in it to keep those contacts from corroding too... swapped the pigtail out while I fixed my speedometer about 10 years ago... hope I won't have to deal with this again

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1993 Previa 2WD

Quote Originally Posted by Previologist View Post
    its not the switch itself that scares me, its the prospect of replacing the harness. If I can use the jury-rigged wire to run off a good switch (which I probably have, in my 93) that would be somewhat less intimidating. Being nearly electrically illiterate doesn't boost my confidence.
    then become "literate"... the shop manual teaches you how to read wiring diagrams.... if that's not enough, there's always different resources out there that can teach you... it's not that hard, you just have to think methodically and look at things one piece at a time instead of trying to absorb it all at once

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    91 Previa

Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    ... I went a different way, disconnecting all of the lever cables so that i could pull the HVAC control assembly and work on it. Your approach -- removing the switch without removing the HVAC assembly -- was very nice, and the write-up was terrific
    props to you for figuring out how to unhook all of those cables to take the whole control panel out... there's not a lot of room there, and I didn't bother trying because putting it back in would probably be harder if I did manage to get them out

I just took apart the thing while it's still in the van.. it's not hard to get the fan switch out... mine was burned out too... it's usually the contacts inside the switch that gets corroded or oxidized and cause high resistance, which in turn burns up that pig tail...
    It's precisely because there's not a lot of room that I wanted it out. I found it exceedingly hard to get the switch out in that small space. That's why I was so impressed with Jonny's write-up, showing in detail how he managed it.

The key to pulling out the HVAC panel was making a tool to disconnect the cables. Of course, having the panel out made replacing two switches (HVAC blower and rear defogger) a piece of cake. [My other reason for pulling that panel was that I was inspired by Dan (man_btc) to add seat heaters. That meant adding switches, one on each side of that center panel -
    Seat heater switches mounted(marked).jpg
    - wiring them to the seats below and the fuse panel above. Having the HVAC panel out just made all of that easier, but it did require pulling up the whole dash panel. Having seen Jonny's post, I would try that if I had to do it again for just the blower switch.]

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    97 Previa DX SC AWD...alive! 95 Previa LE SC AWD (RIP) 93 Previa LE AWD (rustbucket w/ no reverse...parts van) 91 Previa LE AWD (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    then become "literate"... the shop manual teaches you how to read wiring diagrams.... if that's not enough, there's always different resources out there that can teach you... it's not that hard, you just have to think methodically and look at things one piece at a time instead of trying to absorb it all at once
    Well becoming electrically literate and learning to rebuild motorcycle engines are both on my short list of things I never ever wanted to learn, and I'm already trying one of them this summer (against my better judgement).

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1993 Previa 2WD

desperate means needs desperate measures...hardly anyone wants to work on these vans, and if you're going to fix it right, you're going to have to force yourself to learn how to read wiring diagrams, like it or not

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

The only reason I started rebuilding my motorcycle is because it was dead and would cost thousands to have repaired. It remains to be seen, if I ever finish, whether I've done any good or just wasted a few hundred dollars in parts.

Problem is I'm not desperate, because the blower isn't dead. As long as the blower works on high, I have heat and cold and therefore a reason to procrastinate. Once I finish murdering my bike I will take a look back over this and related threads and decide if I want to proceed.