Thread: Van won’t start

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd

Van won’t start

I have a 1987 Toyota van LE 4WD, had it about a year but haven’t been driving it much til a couple months ago after it had work done on it. Drove approx 60 miles the other day. Make a couple short errand stops in which I forget to turn off the headlights at least once, maybe twice. After a short 5 minute stop at a grocery store, car won’t start. Lights still work but engine will not turn over. Not sure how common this is but on my van to engage the starter, it’s a button on the left of the transmission console that you push in after turning the key two clicks forward. I’ve always assumed that was an aftermarket thing added by a former owner. No sounds at all when I push in the button. When I turn the key forward like you would normally do in every other vehicle I’ve owned, you can hear a sound(originally it was a clicking sound, but after battery replacement maybe more like a humming sound, but like I said, that doesn’t engage the starter on this van anyway. Long story short, I got a jump but that didn’t do anything. Then after having it towed to my place, replaced the battery. Still nothing. I’m no mechanic but in my short research it seems it could be starter, solenoid, alternator, etc. Just looking for a starting point to see if it could be something simple. No starting problems in the month prior to this. It just had a couple thousand dollars worth of work done on it, but nothing involving battery, alternator or starter. Something to note, it has been raining a lot lately and was raining a lot the day that it died. Wondering if water got somewhere it shouldn’t. Enough of my ramblings, any “well, first I would try this...” is appreciated.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: Van won’t start

any “well, first I would try this...” is appreciated

I'd go with the search function and look for the fusible link thread.
    If that doesn't solve it, try "no start" or "click click click" and there will be enough links within those, to take you as far as you care to go

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 4x4 auto LE '87 4x4 auto DX '88 4x4 5 speed

Do dash lights come on when you turn the ignition key on? If so, then I'd suspect the starter button may not be functioning properly (and yes, that is an add-on). I'd check for voltage to the button, as well as from the button. It likely runs down to the starter solenoid. It's possible the ignition key failed, and the button was put there as a work-around. I had a similar issue, and ran 12 volts to the solenoid with a jumper wire, and with the key on the van would start.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd

I replaced the aftermarket starter button and it fired right up. Thanks for the advice!