Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1987 Van 5 speed manual won’t go into gear.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van 2wd

Question 1987 Van 5 speed manual won’t go into gear.

Hi there, new to the site so here we go. Just after sitting for a week after driving perfectly fine my van decided that it doesn’t want to go into gear. It starts just fine with the clutch in, and barely goes into reverse but there is awful grinding when it’s in reverse. I heard the the power steering reservoir is used for the transmission as well? I know the res leaks and I would assume it is a fluid issue as a week ago there were no problems. Whatever this is too on the transmission was leaking really bad once I pulled the rubber off. Let me know if anybody has had a similar problem or can help! Also is this rubber supposed to be attached to the transmission? Name:  IMG_0820.jpg
Views: 1283
Size:  87.8 KB
    Last edited by Cedric-the-Van; 10-18-2020 at 09:43 PM.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: 1987 Van 5 speed manual won’t go into gear.

Power steering has nothing to do with transmission.
    An auto transmission will use the same fluid as the steering, but thats all.

The boot you have pulled back is the bellows that seals off the throw-out arm, it is supposed to be removable but it should not be oily in there.
    Either the rear main engine seal has failed or the transmission input seal has.
    Smelling the mess will usually identify the culprit (gear oil has a rather distinctive and nasty type of smell)
    Once its all apart you can clean the living daylights out of it and make sure nothing else is compromised.
    You will need to address all the outstanding issues in order to make your ride reliable.

If it were me, I would be planning on a complete clutch with all the bearings (throw out and pilot) and both seals.
    I'd also want to have at least a slave cylinder on hand.

You may also want to get up close and personal with the search function as it will lead you thru all the above repairs.
    BB

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van 2wd

Hi there, thank you! The liquid coming out of the tranny is most definitely oil. Very dark and doesn’t have that that tinny gross smell to it. I did eventually get it to drive, I waited a while and the oil soaked clutch must have heated up enough to make solid contact with the flywheel. Do you have part numbers for all the repairs listed? And would all of that be necessary? I’ll be tackling the project myself to keep costs down. Thank you!

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: 1987 Van 5 speed manual wonÂ’t go into gear.

If the oil doesn't stink then its probably the rear main thats leaking

I don't have any numbers handy, but I do tend to be a but of a crank when it comes to OEM parts, but they are getting harder to find.
    I don't do "rebuilt/remanned" clutches as I have had too many problems in the past, YMMV
    New aftermarket is the way I would likely go, if the factory stuff is gone.

Read the relevant posts, all the info you need is in there.
    The clutch isn't a hard job, I did mine in the driveway, its mostly grunt work.
    Just make sure you mark everything and take lots of pictures.
    It is amazing how after a few days, what seemed SO clear at the time, can turn to smoke, pics are good memory joggers.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

This isnt the repair you want to take short cuts on, unless you like pulling transmissions.
    Its heavy and awkward and you really only want to do it once.

Count on pressure plate, disc, release bearing and rear main seal, at the very least.
    I'd be replacing the pilot bearing too, might be okay but it only adds 15min and less than $20 and avoids gobs of potential grief.

A couple of cans of brake clean will come in handy too, given how wet things look in the pic, you can expect a nasty mess in the bell housing and it needs to be clean and dry before reassembly.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van 2wd

That’s probably for the best, just replacing suspect parts (that have obviously had too much contact with oil) while I’m in there. I sadly don’t have anybody I know with a lift, but do you think it’s possible in the driveway with high jacks? And luckily my local parts stores have tons of Toyota oem stuff which was a surprise and a relief.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

You dont need a lift, it makes things easier but certainly not required.
    I did mine in the driveway.

Having quality jack stands is key, never crawl under anything that isn't well supported.
    You might even get way with a good set of ramps (4 req'd)

Also a good idea to mark the propshaft to flanges orientation, just so it goes back together the same way.
    Nothing quite so much fun as skipping that part, doing the job then having a nasty vibration that you mistakenly blame on the parts when its really just the phasing of the driveshaft (BTDT2)

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van 2wd

DONT FORGET TO CHANGE THE TRANSMISSION MOUNT!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van 2wd

Okay! So everything listed and is the transmission mount a defect? I’ve seen a few things about replacing it but never saw the reason. Also if anyone has a link to threads about the rear main seal/ transmission work in general that would be great.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Mounts are likely due for replacement (all 3) but that said, I'd inspect first, if money is tight.
    Its external to the transmission and while easier to do while you're in there, it isn't a big deal to do it after the fact, so your call.

If you click on "Site Announcements" and scroll down a thread or 3 you'll find the definitive guide on how to successfully search threads.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van 2wd

Okay perfect! How difficult are the mounts? Money is tight but that’s why I’m planning to do it myself, parts aren’t really a concern as long as I find them

My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 5 speed dlx 1987 4x4 5 speed cargo 1987 4x4 5 speed LE 1987 2wd 5 speed cargo conversion 1989 2wd auto cargo parts van

not sure it was mentioned, the flywheel should be inspected and likely machined...also from the 1st post , you couldnt get the transmission into gear or once in gear the van wouldnt go?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van 2wd

Well it wouldn’t go into gear at all when first turned on. I assume the oil had hardened inside of the transmission, preventing the clutch from making a solid connection with the flywheel. After it was warm, just idling in neutral, the drip out of the transmission increased and it was able to get into gear and drive no problem. I have know that the rear main seal is broken and is the main culprit for this and the oil loss over time. How do I inspect the flywheel once I’m in there? Planning to get started this weekend. Would any local shop machine it for me? Thanks guys!

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Your looking to see the condition of the mating surface on the flywheel.

It should be flat and smooth or if there is surface checking (lotsa little cracks interwoven) it needs resurfacing.
    (Same principal as new or machined rotors with fresh pads, you want the best mating surface you can get.)
    Oil contamination causes clutches to overheat and increases the odds of it needing resurfacing.
    It takes a bit of an experienced eye to know what you can get away with but if you can feel any of the ridges with your fingernail thats as good a sign as any.
    One thing to mention to the machinist is that its a stepped flywheel, so its 2 cuts instead of one.
    It is important to maintain the height differential between the disc mating surface and the pressure plate mounting surface.

Given your mode of failure I would expect that its the combination of clutch dust and engine oil contaminating the splines where the disc slides. When you get it apart you may well find that it appears to have lots of disc life left and you may be tempted to try cleaning it.
    Once the material has been exposed to oil you will never be able to sufficiently clean it.
    I only had to make that mistake once!

Experience is the only teacher I know of, that will guide you thru what parts can be reused and what cant, without that knowledge (and willingness to do things twice) its often better to replace as much as you can afford to, while you're in there.

Mounts are inspected visually first.
    Tears, deformations and separations are top of mind.

The trans mount is a bushing style mount and you should be able to gently pry it from either side while watching for movement, it should give a little as the rubber stretches but there shouldn't be any unrestrained movement.

Engine mounts are compression type and one would need to lift the engine and watch for movement.
    Personally, I would just plan on replacing them.
    Even if they aren't separated (very common failure on LS) they will be compressed, so unless they appear new, put it on the to-do list.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van 2wd

Perfect thank you, and found out the shop right up the street will machine there flywheel for me! As far as taking out the transmission, should I disconnect the shifter cables at that boot on the picture? Not I are what the easiest way to do that is.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

The cables attach to the transmission shift levers on the side of the trans with little ball joints.
    There should be flats on the stud for a wrench to hold it while you remove the nuts, you may have to push the rubber boots back to clearly see the flats. Then you remove the U-clips that retain the cables to the brackets at the bell housing then pull the cables off to the side and tie them off.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

In your pic, all you can see is the clip that holds the cable to the bracket.
    The rubber boots in your picture are only protecting the inner cable and are NOT the boots I am talking about.
    Follow the cables to the very end and you'll see the little ball joints.

PS: Those ball joints are NOT available separately. They came with the cable assemblies, which of course are NLA

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van 2wd

Sweet! Even found a few videos online of how to drop it.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van 2wd

UPDATE: Yay! 2 jack stands, half a can of bolt blaster, and 2 impact gun batteries later the transmission is out. Just as suspected oil is everywhere, I could even make out the lines of caked oil that had been spun off of the pressure plate. I have found a clutch kit (disk, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and pilot bearing), rear main seal (seal and paper gasket for the rear seal "shroud"). Both transmission mounts are on the way as well. The flywheel is currently getting looked at but it was pretty beat up and I might need a new one. Just wondering in the first picture below; what is the plate going into the tranny? and does that need to be re-sealed? Also on the rear of the tranny, what is that bearing and should it be replaced as well? One last thing, there was a plastic piece that snapped off the was connected behind the flywheel and connected to a small hole on the plate surrounding the rear main. What is that called and will I need another? thanks- Kelby

Name:  IMG_0843.jpg
Views: 1193
Size:  99.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_0844.jpg
Views: 1200
Size:  99.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_0842.jpg
Views: 1076
Size:  99.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_0846.jpg
Views: 1192
Size:  96.9 KB

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

No idea on the broken bit and I can't picture anything in my mind, maybe snap a pic and see what the hordes say?

Under that plate on the trans is the input bearing and seal, among a host of other things.
    If you're SURE all the leakage was from the rear main, awesome, but it is not uncommon for the seal on the input shaft to leak as well.
    Up to you wether you go after it or not.
    What was the engine side of the flywheel like when you took it off? What does the input shaft look like
    (If its all munged up on the tranny side of the splines and further in, its a good bet the input seal is also leaking.)

Generally speaking seals are easy to swap out, bearings not so much and I usually don't disturb them unless they were making noise prior, but that has to be weighed against what causes the seal to fail, if its due to excessive shaft movement then replacing the bearing is the right call.

Am pretty sure you could change the tail shaft seal but replacing the bearing would require digging in a lot deeper.

Glad you got it out!