Thread: Previa Bulbs and Power Usage (non-LEDs)

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1992 Previa AT LE

Previa Bulbs and Power Usage (non-LEDs)

From the Yahoo! Previa Group "Files" Archives. Was feeling a bit nostalgic and poking around as even the email distribution of messages will go away on 12/15/2020, saw this and didn't think it was duplicated elsewhere here. Originally posted by "kfss7."

55_PREVIA-BULBS-and-POWER-USAGE.pdf
    "If you find yourself holding a sledgehammer or a crowbar, it's time for a break."

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    91 Previa 5 Speed M/T Alltrac, 93 Previa 5 Speed M/T RWD

Re: Previa Bulbs and Power Usage (non-LEDs)

man_btc... thanks so much for transferring the stuff you've been putting on here. Very useful. I tried to insert the file right here as a screen shot for convenience but it came out as another link, so not helpful at all.

Tim or Gwen - this file came up as a table within the text in the preview (what I'd hoped for), but in the actual post it shows as a link/attachment. Is it easy for you to edit/enlarge this right here on my post to get it as a visible table (or advise me how to do it... I'm technologically challenged)? Sorry to be a bit useless but I'm trying to be helpful - honest.

Attachment 10762

A few comments...
    i) The center stop light bulb changed somewhere along the line from an 1156 (92-93? [91 does not have center light]) to the 921 in the table for later models. My 93 has the 1156.
    ii) The large meter bulbs are specified at 3.4W on the official Toyota parts diagrams. The easiest-to-find equivalent corresponds to a #158 glass wedge with a 500 hr life. The 194 at 3.8W and 2500 hr life (in the table above) is perhaps a better choice cos it'll not burn out back there as fast. Best of all might be the #184... 3.4W with 7000 hr life, though harder to find.
    iii) The entire headlight assembly changed c. 1995 and bulbs do not interchange. The bulb in the table is an H4 type which is used in the 95+. You can get the entire headlight assembly from a yard and swap it out, and there are connectors available which allow plug and play between the old wiring harness and the new. I bought the later model headlights based on info on this site and put one in my vehicle so that I could compare old and new together and determine whether there was any significant difference, and to tell you the truth I cannot tell! Not worth it in my opinion, though others disagree.

A good site for searching bulbs...
    https://www.bulbtown.com/T3_1_4_Glas...show=30&page=2
    Or, if you want stock, get a stash from the scrap yard if you frequent those places... my experience is that about 3/4 of them are still good. If buying new, some of these bulbs are pretty spendy from Toyota, others are cheap, you just have to look them up. Here's a link which gets you to the Toyota parts site...
    https://parts.toyota.com/a/Toyota_19...2440-8301.html
    For the switch bulbs, just FYI, the AC switch pulls out easy from the front with a pair of pliers, the other switches require major dash disassembly to access the bulbs because the switches are held in from behind.
    I know many readers might be going "why even think of getting used bulbs, you don't know how much longer they'll last". For me, recycling is a lifestyle, that's all, even if it might cause the occasional inconvenience.
    Last edited by Jonny; 11-26-2020 at 12:37 PM.