Thread: distributor wont come out?

My Van(s):
    87 4wd cargo 88 4wd cargo

distributor wont come out?

any ideas why it wont come out?i removed the cap and removed the 12mm bolt that holds it in and tried lifting it out ... nothin cant budge the thing. i noticed the the housing is flopping around(like its broken on the bottom)and having a hard time getting it to time correct,so i decieded to remove and swap it with a known good 1.this is the last item to be done and it,s fighting me the whole way! could use some advice. thanx joe g

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: distributor wont come out?

Sometimes they just get stuck. I've had to use forceful methods before. If you need to pry, do the same thing on both sides and keep the pressure even.

My Van(s):

thanx for the reply tim i removed 2 distibutors off of my 2 extra motors and they both came off easily but, this badboy is stuck in there pretty good! i was thinkin bout making 2 wedges and tapping them under housing/casting and forcing it up that way or any method that will get it out. i completed the head gasket job and it does run but i just cant get any advance thats why i,m going in for the dist swap. hope i can get this out today. i need to get some lumber to a job and make some $$ this is the only thing holdin me up!

My Van(s):

man i finaly got it out. i had to break off some of the housing and use the claw of my framing hammer to get it out .seems after sitting for so many years the aluminium electrolicized together! so if you have a distibutor that has,nt moved in years i reccomend that you check it to see if it will! i cant believe that this thing ran. you can see that it was just flopping around.glad i got this bad 1 out and had others to put in.i have it timed by ear at the moment but i,ll be going in for a real timming soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Lol, I guess it's no great loss about the housing . that's got to be the worst one I've ever seen. I had one before that I was considering dropping the pan, removing the oil pump, and driving it out with a steel rod. I finally rigged up a way to evenly pry from both sides and it did come out (without damage). Glad you got yours out, & glad you have extras. Tim