Thread: Intermittent Rough Idle, P0304

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1997 Previa DX S/C RWD

Intermittent Rough Idle, P0304

I have been having this intermittent rough idle after starting, but it smooths out as soon as I exit the driveway. This only happens after the first start of the day and no issues after the car is warmed up.

It rained last week and the next morning it was cold, but sunny. It idled rough after starting and then I got a P0304, cylinder #4 misfire CEL. I never felt the misfire again on my 40-mile highway round trip.

Iridium spark plugs and Toyota ignition wires have about 20,000 miles on them.

I think there is a vacuum leak somewhere. I heard a momentary slurp when I checked some of the vacuum tubes under the driverís seat when I squirt water on them. I changed 2-lines with tubing from Autozone. I also disconnected the battery to clear the CEL. It took a week for the rough idle to come back. But no cylinder misfire, but it has been dry and sunny in SoCal.

Iím not sure what to do next. Could it be my EGR Modulator or EGR Valve? Iím not losing coolant.

Name:  69984F73-E095-4613-B866-C3784E923D4B.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  21.0 KB

I changed the two lines on the left near the oil dipstick.

I wanted to take it to a mechanic, but he was hesitant on working on a Previa and told me he would only guess and replace parts.

1997 Previa DX S/C RWD
    110,000 miles

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    97 Previa DX SC AWD...alive! 95 Previa LE SC AWD (RIP) 93 Previa LE AWD (rustbucket w/ no reverse...parts van) 91 Previa LE AWD (RIP)

Re: Intermittent Rough Idle, P0304

are you getting any white smoke on startup? This happened to me on my way to both blown head gaskets.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1997 Previa DX S/C RWD

Re: Intermittent Rough Idle, P0304

No, but there is one vacuum switch that slowly bleeds off vacuum and I am wondering if that is my vacuum leak.

I donít know what it does or what it is called.

I have a Ď97 Previa DX S/C and this vacuum switch is mounted on the rear of the radiator. It is next to the fan, below the power steering reservoir and in front of the supercharger pulley. It has three vacuum hoses and a electric plug.

Does anyone know what it is? I canít find it on any parts diagrams.