Thread: Inconsistent Idle - Beck Arnley TPS Heads Up!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota Van LE

Inconsistent Idle - Beck Arnley TPS Heads Up!

Hey TVT,

I've been chasing some idle issues in my '89 LE, and to my surprise the male connector on my new Beck Arnley TPS was just wiggly enough that any minor bumps or shakes threw off the IDL signal, only displaying a code 51 when the van was running with the service connector jumped. I've removed the plastic cover on the TPS and am hoping some glue around the connector housing will solve this issue. I'll update this post once it's all back together.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 RWD

Re: Inconsistent Idle - Beck Arnley TPS Heads Up!

Thanks very much for this post. I am having issues with a fresh engine swap and was like "nah it cant be the new TPS" but maybe it is!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota Van LE

Maybe! Give the connector a wiggle while running the engine with the service connector jumped. Should momentarily throw a code 51. Unfortunately this fix didn’t totally resolve my idle issues. My next move is an OEM PCV valve, grommet, and hose. I think the bulk heater hose I used to replace my original PCV hose is too restricting...I might’ve got the last OEM PVC hoses in the country, but we’ll see if I get that “incorrect inventory” email from the dealership in the upcoming days.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 RWD

Not sure if I am reading the codes correctly but according to my manual five blinks is the o2 sensor. How did you get the number 51?

Also fingers crossed that you get the PCV hose. I got one last year and then they all went out of stock, but maybe some more trickled in.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota Van LE

Code 51 is 5 flashes followed by single flash for my 89 LE. If you’re flashes are two pairs of two followed by a single flash, could be a code 41 for TPS. This morning I got an email from the dealer that both PCV hoses are NLA :( time to try out those EZ coils on some bulk hosing.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 RWD

Sorry to hear about that. I used some silicone tubing for the other valve cover hose that crumbled and is NLA as well. Not a permanent fix because I know the fumes will melt it, but I just wanted to get the van started first.

As far as codes I just looked it up and mine is an 86 so our codes are different. I did finally crack the manual which has plenty of troubleshooting guides for different idle symptoms, so time to start there. I would post the pictures of the guides but it sounds like you would be better off getting an electronic copy of the 89 manual.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

PCV hose needs to be rated for both oil/fuel resistant and vacuum capable (reinforced).
    Heater hose is neither of those things and will cause problems.