Thread: Middle Console

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van 1984 2wd

Middle Console

Here is how I built my middle console from scratch. I hope you will find it interesting and helpful. This is my first time I’m using these products, maybe you can come with better ideas.

As a Designer & 3D Artist, I went through different ideas (like 3D Printing and rotational molding) 3D Printing can be very expensive and with the rotational molding can be super hard to get the right thickness. So I decided to go with a fiberglass molding.

Project is super messy and super smelly, lol. Make sure your wife or your girlfriend is not around, hahaha.

Stuff you need for this project:
    Fiberglass Mat / 1 bag Bondo brand
    Fiberglass Resin / 1 small container Bondo brand
    Body Filler / 1 small container Bondo brand
    Sandpaper / different coarse’s
    Blue Tape
    Mold Release Spray / I used Power Steering Fluid
    Bonding Premier Spay / Rust-Oleum Universal Bonding Primer
    Montana Spay / for final color (Montana are great and professional sprays)
    One brush
    Few different shapes of plastic spatulas

Here are my steps:

I taped with blue tape my OEM console.
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1152
Size:  57.4 KB

I added 2 to 3 times PS Fluid, so it will be easier to take it out.
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1136
Size:  51.2 KB

Cut in small and nice shapes the fiberglass. Then start brushing with resin the fibreglass on the consol. I will recommend keeping the gaps open. Rebuilding the pocket on the side separately and connecting it later. Leave it for a day to dry and the next day with a saw cut the extra parts, between the gaps and around the console.
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1092
Size:  60.9 KB

Take the mold out with a spatula slowly, you don’t want to ruin your OEM console, air pressure may help here. Then sanded very well. I put the fiberglass mold back to the original console and marked with a marker where the holes are.
    Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1150
Size:  60.3 KB

After I added the body filler with a spatula to make a nice and flat shape.
    If you are happy with the fiberglass you may just avoid the body filler, but I wanted the console to be stronger.
    You may have to add more than one layer to fill the gaps. Cleaning it and sanding it between layers.
    Name:  5.jpg
Views: 1145
Size:  12.4 KB

When it was smooth enough I cleaned it very well with a damp tower, drilled the holes then added the primer.
    Name:  6.jpg
Views: 1137
Size:  11.1 KB

For final paint I used montana spray, they are great professional sprays and have an amazing variety of colors.
    Name:  7.jpg
Views: 1144
Size:  11.5 KB

For the hand brake cover, I used a flat rubber mat I found in Lowes and I attached it with a strong velcro under the console.
    Name:  8.jpg
Views: 1134
Size:  9.4 KB

Option, I added some insulation to the bottom of the console.
    Name:  9.jpg
Views: 1141
Size:  10.2 KB

Here is the final product. I’m happy how it came out, it wasn't easy and it was a messy project but fun to see a NA product alive ;-).
    Name:  10.jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  9.4 KB

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    89 4WD

Re: Middle Console

Great work!
    Thanks for sharing