Thread: 91 Townace differential

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Townace and LE Van Wagon

91 Townace differential

I need to rebuild my differential in my 91 Townace 4x4. It’s dif code is F252. Which is 7.5 with a ratio 4.556 2 piñon. My local import mechanic said I might be able to use 4Runner parts to rebuild it. It seems like it is the same as the Supra, what years I’m not sure. I see rebuild Supra kits on the RockAuto site. Does anyone know what my options actually are? Would the rear axel from my 89 LE fit?

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Re: 91 Townace differential

Are you having to replace gears or just bearings and seals? I was able to get a Timken rebuild kit from rockauto for my '88 USDM van that included bearings and seals. Some people swear by the Koyo bearings sold through Toyota as well as some aftermarket Toyota specialty shops but that's a choice you and your mechanic will have to make. Being as yours is a '91 JDM there is a chance on the bearings being different as there was a change from 45mm to 50mm IDs on the carrier bearings around '89 or '90 on some USDM 7.5" diffs.

If you need gears, that's a whole other ballgame.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1993 toyota liteace

Re: 91 Townace differential

Quote Originally Posted by LGW View Post
    I need to rebuild my differential in my 91 Townace 4x4. It’s dif code is F252. Which is 7.5 with a ratio 4.556 2 piñon. My local import mechanic said I might be able to use 4Runner parts to rebuild it. It seems like it is the same as the Supra, what years I’m not sure. I see rebuild Supra kits on the RockAuto site. Does anyone know what my options actually are? Would the rear axel from my 89 LE fit?
    I recently replaced my differential on my 93 liteace. I went with a different gearing (f302. 3.7 ratio). anyway I have the old one if you need it. its a f282 with a 4.3 gear ratio. here's a link to my craigslist ad:

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...488795103.html