Thread: recarpeting

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    97 Previa DX SC AWD...alive! 95 Previa LE SC AWD (RIP) 93 Previa LE AWD (rustbucket w/ no reverse...parts van) 91 Previa LE AWD (RIP)

recarpeting

Has anyone recarpeted a Previa, and if so, how did you go about it? Especially interested if you had to cut to fit, because clean used carpets are likely tough to find. Seems like I saw a thread about this somewhere but not sure where

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    97 Previa DX SC AWD...alive! 95 Previa LE SC AWD (RIP) 93 Previa LE AWD (rustbucket w/ no reverse...parts van) 91 Previa LE AWD (RIP)

Re: recarpeting

still wondering...

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

They have different part#s but can you think of any reason why various Previa carpets aren't 100% interchangeable, other than the minor point of seat attachment openings? I sure can't. The basic size and shape shouldn't have changed and since I cover up the rear carpet anyway mismatched holes are not an issue.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    91 Previa

Finally you got to a question I can answer : The only reasons I can think of why carpets might be different are:
    • color;
    • holes for seats (only for middle row AFAIK) and plumbing lines (for ice/cool box);
    • the post-91 addition of the inertial sensor.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

I didn't even know Previas had an icebox option! But that made me think of another one: manual vs auto transmission

I'm not sure what the inertial sensor is, or where it is, but I presume at worst it means cutting or covering a small hole. It sounds like this job should be pretty simple no matter what year I get.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1992 Previa AT LE

The inertial sensor is a "crash sensor," a metal box mounted to the floor underneath the floor convenience tray - or whatever it's called - located forward and between the front seats. In a crash, it triggers the throw-pillow-sized airbag in the steering wheel. So, for post-91's, which had an airbag - there will be a rectangular hole in the carpet there.

Look about 8 photos down on this thread
    https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...1072#post41072
    "If you find yourself holding a sledgehammer or a crowbar, it's time for a break."

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Ah...that explains why I didn't know what it is, because I've never taken the center tray out. That shouldn't be a problem.

I also don't know why I didn't think of just using the carpet out of my 93 parts van until now. I think it crossed my mind but I ruled it out because its so filthy. But after checking prices for having a carpet shipped to me, suddenly it doesn't look so bad. The only really bad stain is in the far back, and since for some reason the previous idiot...I mean previous owner removed the rear carpeting and insulation completely, I think this is the way to go because I can replace that too. Should work fine, and if it doesn't I'm only out a few minutes of labor and maybe $50 for a professional cleaning