Thread: Washer fluid leak in front

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    89 RWD

Washer fluid leak in front

Hello all,

Looks as though I have a washer fluid leak towards the front of the van when I push the washer button - dripping down from in front of the front passenger wheel well. Is there access from underneath or will I need to dig in from the interior/dashboard area to find the leak?

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Re: Washer fluid leak in front

I haven't ventured down that road but here's a good read, I typed in "washer nozzle" and a few threads popped up-

https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...=washer+nozzle

JDM

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    89 RWD

Thanks, the issue doesn't appear to be with the nozzles. I've taken the dashboard off and reached underneath and there isn't any moisture near either of the nozzles. The leak seems to be coming from way over on the passenger side at these two points.

Name:  PXL_20210320_153602263~2.jpg
Views: 1105
Size:  96.1 KB

Is anyone aware of the route that the washer fluid hose takes from the rear to the front? Does it go up the side column here?

My Van(s):

Thanks for posting a picture, that may not be washer fluid what's the windshield trim look like from the outside in the lower corner? There could be a rust hole developed under the trim thats letting water in?

JDM

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    89 RWD

That all looks pretty good to me - I'm sure it's washer fluid because it only leaks out of those points while I'm pushing the washer button, and the fluid is blue. That and the nozzles only weep a little while the button is pushed.

My Van(s):

Blue fluid.... ok!! The washer tank and I believe the pump are located in the back right corner of the van but which route the lines take to get to the front of the vehicle I've never taken a close look. Maybe its running under the vehicle where there less obstructions to get to the front and then comes in somewhere on the passenger side. Its had to have come loose somewhere close to the right side nozzle I'm guessing?

JDM

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    89 RWD

Ok. I think I'll try removing the interior a-pillar cover and see what's behind. Is there more that I can remove along the windshield besides the dash to get a better look at the nozzles?

My Van(s):

Those A-pillar pieces will probably be extremely brittle and will crack, I think there’s a dog-clip towards the top if I remember correctly. I’m thinking to check and see if the lines are running from the bottom passenger side of the van first before removing the A-Pillar. Sorry I don’t have any schematics.

While you have the dashpad off have you tried activating the washer fluid to see if your able to see where the fluid is spraying from? If you find it please try and post a picture. This will be good to have for future reference.

I haven’t done any of this before so I’m in the same boat as you.

JDM

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    89 RWD

Ok I'll stay away from the a-pillar

I took the nozzle hoses off of this Y and pushed the button, to see if the leak would disappear, which would have indicated the nozzles as the problem:
    Name:  PXL_20210321_222221122.MP~2.jpg
Views: 1111
Size:  89.5 KB

But the leak was still there, so that told me the nozzles were ok.

Pressing the button, the lion's share of the leak comes from here, out from behind this piece of trim:
    Name:  PXL_20210321_223201969~2.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  96.5 KB

Seems like more digging is needed!

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 5spd LE

Washer bottle and motor are located in the frame above the right side wheel house. An output tube (1/4" clear plastic) from that assembly will go up to the roof rail area and make a joint with another clear tube near the rear of the sliding door. This will then go forward to the A pillar and down inside the A pillar coming out of a 2" grommet just above the plastick kick panel where it turns toward the right side of the Fan motor and disappears into the dash. There does appear to be another joint next to the fan motor. If you pull the grommet out, break the joint at the Fan motor you may be able to attach a pull string or wire and pull the old tube back to the sliding door area and replace the tubing with new. If you were just using water at some point it might have frozen and split the tube somewhere inside of the A pillar. Removing the covering panel on the A pillar probably won't reveal anything. From what I could see the A Pillar appears solid. Raining to hard right now to further investigate. I will follow up when I can.

SoORYotas

My Van(s):

SoORYotas

Nice followup in detail!!! Please post pictures if possible.

thank you

JDM

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    89 RWD

SoORYotas - thank you for the detail! It makes sense to me that the hose comes down the A-pillar because I've been seeing the leak from up there - see my first set of pictures. I don't see any evidence of leaks to the left of that pillar...the hose from the Y at the nozzles all the way to the grommet you mentioned seems bone dry when pressing the button. Which makes me believe the leak is in the pillar.

Understanding that the cover is brittle, is there an approach I can take to minimize the potential of damage? Will removing the cover expose the hose or is there more to come off?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    89 RWD

By way of update, taking the A pillar trim off reveals just the frame - the hose is inaccessible from there.

I went further north, and by prying off the rubber seal around the door frame I ventured carefully into the headliner, revealing the washer hose among other things (insulation, half eaten acorn???, etc). After disconnecting the hose down by the grommet under the dash and connecting a wire for re-threading, I attempted to pull the hose up through the pillar. Not budging.

I decided I'd leave the leaky hose in the pillar and just bypass it entirely. Got some 1/4 inch hose and some joints at HD, ran the hose outside the frame but under the pillar trim and down into the dashboard, and connected at the old junction near the grommet. Put the dash all back together, adjusted the nozzles so they wouldn't spray into convertibles next to me at red lights, and we are fully functional!

Thanks JDM VANMAN, SoORYotas, and JPERL for your help!