Thread: van doesn't start, with turn of key there's no cranking, clicking it's silent

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    87 toyota vanwagon

van doesn't start, with turn of key there's no cranking, clicking it's silent

Hi,
    hoping someone can help. Van doesn't start, with turn of key there's no cranking, no clicking..... it's silent.
    Prior to this it's been difficult to start, but would eventually catch and fire up. Drove to Long Beach and back today, 40 miles and now it wont start. It's locked in Park, won't shift into gear at all, so can't roll it. Could this be a solenoid issue ?
    Ive checked fusible links, they all seem fine. Battery measures 9.8 with multimeter.
    Name:  Screenshot 2021-03-23 at 4.52.26 PM.jpg
Views: 1352
Size:  14.7 KBName:  Screenshot 2021-03-23 at 4.52.40 PM.jpg
Views: 1436
Size:  10.5 KB
    also, the nuts were loose on this component beside the battery, what is this component ? sorry, total newbie
    thanks in advance

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: van doesn't start, with turn of key there's no cranking, clicking it's silent

12.2V would be considered fully discharged, so probably start with a new battery and go from there.

Out of curiosity, how did you "check" the fusible links?
    (A visual is not sufficient.)

No clue on thing beside battery

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    IG:@dialupthevan 89 - 2WD - 201k 87 - 4WD - 188K

Re: van doesn't start, with turn of key there's no cranking, clicking it's silent

Sounds like a dead battery and yes visual in not enough. Test for continuity in each fusible link
    That smells like regular! She needs premium DUDE! PREMIUM!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    87 toyota vanwagon

battery held charge of 9.8
    jumped battery and it started.
    fusible links were fine when checked with multimeter

checked battery today and it measures 12.6. climbs to 14 when van is running.
    Last edited by pigneguy; 03-24-2021 at 03:15 PM.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    87 toyota vanwagon

ohmmeter
    Last edited by pigneguy; 03-24-2021 at 03:16 PM.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    87 toyota vanwagon

pulled the wire from the battery whilst van was running with christmas tree dash ... and engine cut out. So, after reading this excellent thread: https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...tor-woes/page7

i ordered a new alternator from here: https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/...del=&Filter=()

This forum is a trove of information. Apologies for not trawling deeper, initially.
    Last edited by pigneguy; 03-27-2021 at 05:00 PM.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by pigneguy View Post
    Hi,
    hoping someone can help. Van doesn't start, with turn of key there's no cranking, no clicking..... it's silent.
    Prior to this it's been difficult to start, but would eventually catch and fire up. Drove to Long Beach and back today, 40 miles and now it wont start. It's locked in Park, won't shift into gear at all, so can't roll it. Could this be a solenoid issue ?
    Ive checked fusible links, they all seem fine. Battery measures 9.8 with multimeter.
    Name:  Screenshot 2021-03-23 at 4.52.26 PM.jpg
Views: 1352
Size:  14.7 KBName:  Screenshot 2021-03-23 at 4.52.40 PM.jpg
Views: 1436
Size:  10.5 KB
    also, the nuts were loose on this component beside the battery, what is this component ? sorry, total newbie
    thanks in advance
    that is the starter relay that is located in the passenger seat behind the power sterring liquid pump there is a box with 4 fuses under that box is the relay that I discovered today since mine stopped turning on by the key I changed it and it turned on