Thread: Oil leaking from spark plug housing

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Hiace 1987

Oil leaking from spark plug housing

Hello,

I've just recently bought my 1987 Toyota Hiace Camper and it has an oil leak. I got it home and gave the engine block a clean and the took it a run to see if i could locate the leak. It appears to be coming from the spark plug housing. I had a look and going by what I have read it could be the spark plug tube seals? I was wondering if anyone could confirm that it is likely to be this? And has changed them before? Name:  A6DB7636-D7B9-410C-ABE3-0842DADE7CFA.jpg
Views: 1514
Size:  94.9 KBName:  891641F7-3EBB-4A49-BCA5-12B82C327C48.jpg
Views: 1476
Size:  99.5 KB

Thanks,
    Angus

My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 5 speed dlx 1987 4x4 5 speed cargo 1987 4x4 5 speed LE 1987 2wd 5 speed cargo conversion 1989 2wd auto cargo parts van

Re: Oil leaking from spark plug housing

super easy to replace, theyll often come out with the spark plug(good time to replace), its a square section oring theyre often sold with the valve cover gasket and grommets...these rubber parts get hard fairly quick with the heat of the head...

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Hiace 1987

Thanks for the reply boogieman. Good to hear that it should be an easy fix. I'm struggling to find any valve cover gasket kits or just the orings themselves here in the UK. I can only seem to get them from Australia on eBay!

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1990 Hiace Super Custom 4WD diesel

for finding part numbers with your VIN : https://www.toyodiy.com
    ive found parts on amazon with just a part number and been able to order directly from the local dealership so far.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Hiace 1987

So I've received my spark plug seals from Australia. I took the spark plugs out and the tubes came out no problem, the old seals were very hard. When I took the tubes out I noticed that the were quite worn at the bottom where the spark plug sits on to it. Would this be causing my oil leak rather than the seals or should this still seal?Name:  IMG_5063.jpg
Views: 1330
Size:  91.7 KBName:  IMG_5061.jpg
Views: 1298
Size:  69.5 KBName:  IMG_5054.jpg
Views: 1345
Size:  45.4 KB

My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 5 speed dlx 1987 4x4 5 speed cargo 1987 4x4 5 speed LE 1987 2wd 5 speed cargo conversion 1989 2wd auto cargo parts van

ooof those are no good anymore, probably from repated over torquing of the plugs...the lower hole should only be large enough for the plug to pass thru and hold down the whole tube...make sure the rest of the tube is not inside the head

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Hiace 1987

Quote Originally Posted by boogieman View Post
    ooof those are no good anymore, probably from repated over torquing of the plugs...the lower hole should only be large enough for the plug to pass thru and hold down the whole tube...make sure the rest of the tube is not inside the head
    boogieman thanks once again. Brilliant, just what i was expecting. I'm not sure if i have the correct part number.

Is this the correct part here?

11191 – 22010

https://toyota.epc-data.com/hiace/yh...ne/1104/11191/

Thanks for the help.