Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Front axle boots disconnected and exposed & CV axle rebuild

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: Front axle boots disconnected and exposed & CV axle rebuild

The pictures aren't clear enough to see inside the boot to the actual joint.
    Its possible they pulled it back enough to inspect and saw critical damage or maybe they just made the assumption based on how dry/dirty everything is.
    When a boot tears, it makes a god-awful mess.

They also have to worry about liability.
    -I have been in situations where you explain to the customer all the downsides and yet they insist on trying to economize and when it doesn't work out, they still get upset (even though you warned them, repeatedly) and it causes a lot of bad blood and lost profits and no one ends up being happy.

Doing your own work eliminates that aspect of repairs.
    Also helps you to appreciate their perspective, when the attempt doesn't work out.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 4x4, 5 speed Last known as the wonderwagon, under new ownership. Thanks Geoff!

Yeah, for sure.

And to clarify, I trust and respect my mechanic 100 percent. He is the one of the most honest people I know and I absolutely believe him. I wanted to ask the community because there are so many people here who specialize in our unique vans, when he is a general mechanic that knows an amazing amount about many vehicles. Maybe there was something the community knew that we didn't. I plan to ask him what he saw and how he made that diagnosis next time I see him, but I was just cruising the threads and came across this one and thought, HEY! mine looks like that, and he fixed it! Maybe I can too! lol

My attempts to locate a replacement have been continually unsuccessful, I was looking for an answer that I knew probably didn't exist

Because I learned a long time ago that I am good at some things and not good at others, and wrenching on cars/motorcycles is one that I am definitely NOT good at, I was just reaching out for any insight, anything that could help me if there was something unique and special about my vans front axle vs other vehicles.

Thanks again for the quick response!

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van LE 4x4 5spd, on 30x9.50R15s, boosted to 16PSI

Shop practices are different than DIY practices, in a lot of ways. In a shop when a CV axle boot is broken and it has been broken a long time (like yours, lacking a greasy mess) it is best to just replace the axle. The joint is more than likely compromised. This is best for safety liability, reducing the chance of a come back, and just all around customer satisfaction. Plus, the shop just tells the customer the cost of the replacement and that's that. If the part is not available and you are at a good shop they will get creative in finding a replacement (used, etc ), or finding a rebuild service.

In the DIY world you have more freedom to ignore those safety liabilities and come back issues. That being said, if it were mine, I would make sure the axle works (turns the tire without making crazy noises) and then I would replace the boot using the proper procedure. Then I would put "CV axle" on my list of needed impossible Van parts to locate.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 4x4, 5 speed Last known as the wonderwagon, under new ownership. Thanks Geoff!

I appreciate the input VanCo...And I think you are spot on. I think its time to rebuild what I have, and put the "almost impossible" part to find on the top of the list!

Thanks
    "First off, I am 35 years old, I am divorced, and I live in a VAN down by the river" -Matt Foley

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Hey TVT,

I wanted to share a resource I found. Earlier in this thread I posted about replacing vs. rebuilding of my CV axle. It had been torn so long that I was told it needed to be replaced. The problem as you know, you can not buy replacement axles from Toyota any longer, and I couldn't find a re manufactured axle anywhere. So, what to do...search for a parts 4WD van to hopefully harvest an axle in better shape...doesn't come around often, but it seemed like the only option. Then I found CV axle express in Utah. My mechanic removed my axle, I shipped it to them (paid extra insurance because its priceless given there are no replacements, lol) and they disassembled, cleaned, rebuilt, including new tripod bearings, packed, new boots/clamps, and mailed it back. It came back two days later (I live in CA) and it looks and feels good as new! Time will tell for how durable the new parts are, but the total was $250 for my mechanic to remove and re-install, $130 for the rebuild, and $40 shipping, and it was 7 days from removal to reinstall.

Another axle is still on my pick and pull list, from previous thread advice and personal preference, I would prefer a old authentic original Toyota axle vs. new rebuild/re maned axle with aftermarket roller bearings and boots... But to get back on the road and actually be able to lock into 4WD without nail biting fear my axle will explode it pretty awesome! Anyways, you can check them out online, https://cvaxleexpress.com/

Here are pictures after rebuild and the invoice for rebuild... Take it easy Van friends

Axle.jpgCV installed.jpgCV express.jpgCV invoice.jpg
    "First off, I am 35 years old, I am divorced, and I live in a VAN down by the river" -Matt Foley

My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 5 speed dlx 1987 4x4 5 speed cargo 1987 4x4 5 speed LE 1987 2wd 5 speed cargo conversion 1989 2wd auto cargo parts van

$250 for r&r on one cv axle? that seems a bit steep...

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

An hour off, an hour on, $125 an hour...and worth every penny!

$250 may be steep for someone who is mechanically inclined...but me, trying to take the axle off in my driveway with a hammer and a pipe wrench?? As fast as I can waist a few hundred dollars at Walmart, lol. I'm good with the price. This was a much better use of my funds