Thread: Liftgate / Rear hatch alignment frustrations

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 Cargo Van, Manual

Liftgate / Rear hatch alignment frustrations

While working on the liftgate/rear hatch, I loosened the screws holding the hatch hinges (the 2 screws on the inside and 2 screws on the "outside" of each hinge). I tightened them again while the hatch was closed and now when I go to open the hatch, the top of the hatch rubs against the roof of the van.

I'm having a hell of a time figuring how to realign the hatch so it works as it did originally (opens and closes properly with no rubbing when opened or gaps when closed). Can anyone run me through the proper procedure for this?

Thank you!!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    89 4WD

Re: Liftgate / Rear hatch alignment frustrations

I had the same issue while replacing the hatch. Had to constantly readjust but tightened it when the hatch was up. Also, if you adjust the pucks on the sides of the hatch it will change the gap and how the hatch seats.
    I think it s a bit of trial and error- mine opens and shuts fine, but I can see the gap difference on each side. Good luck!

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: Liftgate / Rear hatch alignment frustrations

Usually you can just line up the paint marks and call it a day.

That said: The hinges are horizontally mounted so adjustment is fairly easy.
    Moving the hatch forward (toward the van) will close the upper gap and also cause binding, if too far forward.

I have found that using the body lines as a guide to be the best for a rough alignment.
    As simple as laying your hand alongside the body and feeling if the door is even with the body work.
    You're looking to get the door even with the body lines, side to side and across the top and to get the gap relatively even all the way around.

Resist the temptation to touch any other adjustments until you get the hatch back where it was (you did say it worked fine prior)
    Only re-action what you have already disturbed.
    Adjusting the side pucks will only complicate the situation at this point, but may come into play once you start adjusting seal tension, as they will affect how close to the body the lower section of the door can go.
    Once you get it where it should be and it operates like before, then you can start checking the seal tension of the door and make further adjustments, if required.

The paper test is almost infallible. place a piece of paper over the seal and close the door, it should be hard top pull the paper out but not overly so.
    If it rips, its too tight, if it practically falls out, its too loose.
    Mostly you are looking to get an even amount of "pull" all the way around the door.