Hello Everyone.

I need to flush the cooling system on my ’87 2WD (271k miles). I want to do the flush as thoroughly as possible but without risk. I located as much info on this site as I could find, which was very helpful, but I need to clarify a few things before I proceed.

If I am seeing it correctly in the photo of the T-fitting, the hose that has the T-fitting appears to be the heater core outlet hose (based on the arrows for direction of flow). I thought the inlet hose is the one that the T-fitting would go on, or does it really matter?

As far as cleaning agents, I see that Prestone offers 2 main products, the ‘Flush+ Cleaner’ and the ‘Super Flush.’ Which of those two should I use, or is there another specific brand of cleaning agent that is more effective, yet still safe?

I am compelled to switch from the traditional green antifreeze to the Toyota Red Long Life type. Can anyone think of a reason not to switch to the Toyota Red and/or is that antifreeze appropriate for my van?

I’d like to hear others opinions about safety and/or advantages of using compressed air (or pressurized water) for a more forceful flushing of the heater core and/or radiator?

Finally, related to this procedure is that the temperature control lever at the dash has gotten pretty stiff. I tried spraying WD-40 on the “hinge” of the linkage at the heater core shut-off valve underneath the front of the van, but that didn’t seem to make the lever move any easier. Is there a way to get that lever to move back and forth without so much resistance?