Thread: What size bolt is used for removal of brake drum?

My Van(s):
    1986, 2wd

What size bolt is used for removal of brake drum?

Hi, on the brake drum there is a threaded hole for a bolt to be used in assisting with the removal of the brake drum.

Does anyone know what size bolt this is?

Thanks

My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 5 speed dlx 1987 4x4 5 speed cargo 1987 4x4 5 speed LE 1987 2wd 5 speed cargo conversion 1989 2wd auto cargo parts van

Re: What size bolt is used for removal of brake drum?

pretty sure its 8x 1.25 iirc...but make sure you back off the shoes with the star wheel or youll just be stripping it out...theres not alot of purchase threads there...soak the hub/stud area with some oil and a bfh doesn't hurt to break things loose a bit if its rusty

My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 5 speed dlx 1987 4x4 5 speed cargo 1987 4x4 5 speed LE 1987 2wd 5 speed cargo conversion 1989 2wd auto cargo parts van

just checked a 4x4 drum and its 7mm x 1.0

My Van(s):
    1986, 2wd

Quote Originally Posted by boogieman View Post
    but make sure you back off the shoes with the star wheel or youll just be stripping it out..
    HI, could you explain what you mean about backing off the star wheel? I'm trying to get the main brake drum "cap" off, so this wouldn't be accessible at this point would it? Thanks

My Van(s):

often the brake shoes wear into the brake drum and create a ridge that makes it very difficult to remove the drum unless the brake shoes are backed off...thru the backing plate of the drum is a slot. should have a rubber cap but these go missing...thats the access point...it can be tricky as thr star wheel has a catch mechanism so it doesnt back off, that needs to be pressed in with say a screw driver while the wheel is backed off....most drum brakes are set up like this, a google search with pics would probably make more sense than my explanation...

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1991 Toyota Previa 1985 Toyota Van

Hey, I'm doing the drum brakes on my 1985 now, and they are M8 1.25. Good luck!