Thread: Question about diagnosing AC system

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1992 Townace super extra 4x4 turbo diesel

Question about diagnosing AC system

I've got a '92 4wd front+rear AC van. The AC has never worked since I bought it about a year ago. I had a tech come out and remove any R-12 left in the system, and my plan was to refill with enviro-safe R-12a.

The tech hooked up his machine and it turns out there was no R-12 left in the system.

Knowing the system was empty I filled it with the proper amount of R-12a, one can at a time. At no point during this did the vents blow cold air.

I didn't have a full manifold gauge, but the r-12a did come with an inline gauge. While filling and after the cans emptied, it displayed the correct pressure.

The R-12a did have dye in it, but I wasn't able to spot any apparent leaks.
    When the AC was running I could see some bubbles in the sight glass. The liquid in there looked amber colored, for the most part.

The compressor engages when I turn the AC on.

So my question is what's the best way to diagnose this further?
    Is the liquid seen in the sight glass just refrigerant? A mixture of oil and refrigerant?
    Should I get a manifold gauge and test the pressures, based on the diagnosis steps outlined in the FSM?
    Although the compressor engages at the pulley, I didn't verify anything beyond that.

I'm mostly curious about the best options for trying to figure out what's wrong here.

Thanks for any thoughts.

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Re: Question about diagnosing AC system

Here's a thread that may be of interest, its a 10 page adVanture!!!

https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...ir+conditioner

If this is what your looking for let us know and we'll get this thread merged with the other one to keep the established thread resurrected.

JDM

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1992 Townace super extra 4x4 turbo diesel

Thanks for that link. I had read through the entirety of that thread quite a few times at this point, haha. It has helped a lot for sure. Although I think my situation is a little bit different than the ones outlined in there.

I was hoping to understand if the inline gauge was useful in telling me anything about the system, but it seems at this point, I should probably get a full manifold gauge and see what kinds of readings I get.

Still open to suggestions if anyone has ideas. But otherwise, I'll report back with my findings.

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

thanks for following up, good luck

JDM