Thread: No start - Click no crank after removing dash

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 4x4

Question No start - Click no crank after removing dash

I know this is a very common problem and there's a lot out there but before diving into the mishegoss I wonder if there's a more direct solution.

Recently bought my 1988 4wd, been great around town so far, doing a little here and there to tune it up - most recently replacing the sound system. Spent quite a bit of time playing music after the install testing and enjoying while putting some of the dash back on thinking it would be a good time to test a jump-start battery. Got the battery up to 12.6v it's still just clicking no crank, the stereo still plays of course.

A preliminary inspection seems like wires and connections all good. Possible I screwed up a connection in the dash install? Could there be long term impact of running the battery low on the broader system?

Have yet to get in to look at the neutral start switch but was recommended that as well.

My van, she look so good, I want to drive her.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5spd

Re: No start - Click no crank after removing dash

sounds like either a starter or battery issue. Rule out that your battery is good first since thats the easiest thing to do. I would first try fully charging the battery with a car charger and also load testing it a nearby autoparts store. You could also try hooking up another car with jumper cables and running it at ~3-4k rpm while trying to start the van. since you are getting the clicking that means the starter solenoid is activating and it likely is not the starter itself. however i would check that your starter has both of the mounting bolts installed. My vans starter was missing its top mounting bolt and im pretty sure that was the cause of why it would not start sometimes. the starter would rotate a tiny bit and bind and not be able to spin, at least thats what i suspect happened. since installing a a new bolt i havent had any no-start issues.

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Have you had a chance to check out this detailed thread-

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/c...witch-question.

JDM

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 4x4

Update for anyone who comes across this later. There's a number of grounding points in the dash that will stop the van from starting if not connected correctly - 2 on either windshield pillar by the speaker, 1 on the windshield wiper bolt and another on a bolt that must be undone to take the dash apart - Remember to put the bolt back in with the eye ground!!

Don't be a sucker like me ;)