Thread: Multi-Contribute Problem Diagnosing

My Van(s):
    1989 Cargo Van A/T 2WD; 268k on the clock & counting!

Post Multi-Contribute Problem Diagnosing

So, I believe I might have a lead on why my van refuses to start when its warm, as well as some other symptoms of what I believe is Vapor Locking. I know it probably couldnt be the starter as that was changed roughly 600 miles ago (previous one was hiccuping upon successful starting). To summarize my belief on this, the following symptoms I've noticed are as follows:

-Runs and drives somewhat rough, fuel filter was changed after I got it running on good fuel; when and if it was changed prior is unknown unfortunately

-Hard to start and/or doesnt start (had to wait 2 hours for it to choose to start at the post office at night for it to cool down!)

Although I believe this may be an issue it could be one of several, someone else I know saying the solenoid could be not working properly too causing this.

Other than that, miniscule things are to be looked at too including some unknown (and what I assume to be) unhooked possible vacuum lines. Pictures coming up real quick as I am not able to use a laptop currently. Those two lines are the only things I can see disconnected right now.

If any of you have input do let me know, not too headstrong with cars much. Thanks! Name:  16314813570054803555128335818139.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  94.2 KB
    Name:  16314815405924279258368014150776.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  97.2 KB

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: Multi-Contribute Problem Diagnosing

No engine will run right if the vacuum lines are either compromised or incorrectly routed.
    Sorting that should be your first order of business, then you can evaluate what else is going on.

Heat soak may or may not be an issue, I have no idea which VSV that one is in your picture, but there is at least one VSV that affects fuel rail pressure.
    Theres tons of info on here regarding routing and function of the various bits, being that its "new to you", you pretty much have to work thru every system before pointing fingers at any one
    Checking for codes and assessing fuel pressure should be on your to-do list, as well.
    Not to mention timing and compression.

Armed with actual knowledge of the state of the union, you will be able to ascertain what systems need further attention
    Theres no substitute for proper diagnostic procedures.

As far as multiple problems all contributing to your woes, thats pretty much a given.
    God only knows what PO's have done and many may have taken shortcuts, work-arounds or made "improvements" and that is the whole reason why you have to work thru each system methodically and correct all the stupidity that has been inflicted on it, in years past.

My Van(s):

Post Re: Multi-Contribute Problem Diagnosing

Quote Originally Posted by Burntboot View Post
    No engine will run right if the vacuum lines are either compromised or incorrectly routed.
    Sorting that should be your first order of business, then you can evaluate what else is going on.
    Fair point, no idea what hoses those are in question unfortunately but they must probably not be vacuum lines since they've been disconnected for quite a while to be that dusty. Also they're the 2 lines hooked up right next to the oil filter access panel (from the power steering reservoir look left above the #4 sparkplug wire or see the first picture I attatched. Also cleaned off the dust from where the hose attached if you're wondering.) Also, what is a VSV? Never heard that before by the way.

In addition while I was re-examining my engine bay I noticed all of my sparkplug wires and the surrounding areas were wet! I also found another disconnected connector (second picture) in the access panel right of the one for the oil filter for something unknown. Pictures after 1 and 2 are of the wet sparkplug wires; could only get plugs #2, #3 and #4 also pictures of plug #2 and #4 might be upside down!

Name:  16315786505125695689579428174540.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  98.3 KBName:  16315787261346244640491329536567.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  96.5 KBName:  16315788159668267339657014223739.jpg
Size:  91.5 KBName:  16315788944522599138198042696071.jpg
Size:  97.9 KB
    Name:  16315792387298463467374216596197.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  97.6 KB

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

VSV= Vacuum Switching Valve
    They are used for a variety of systems, to supply vacuum when needed.
    For instance, one of them should raise fuel pressure for a hot start, to reduce the tendency to heat soak.
    There are several threads about them, and those threads are far more accurate than my memory.
    And posting in those threads will attract the attention of those who've already been there and it helps keep the forum organized.

At least some of your symptoms are consistent with a vacuum leak (running poorly, rough idle, hard starting....)
    You really need to start there, before jumping into any other repairs.

Finding unused plugs is fairly common and not cause for concern, unless theres something close that fits the plug.
    Harnesses are designed to fit several models, that plug may go to something that wasn't optioned on your particular vehicle.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

As to the oil leak at the spark plugs, once again, the search function is your new friend with all the answers:

Oil leaking from spark plug housing

And for the record, when the spark plug wells fill with oil, over time it will degrade the spark plug boot, when it gets really bad, the wires can short out

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5spd

i believe the disconnected vacuum lines in your first post are a part of the ac system

My Van(s):

Post Re: Multi-Contribute Problem Diagnosing

Thank you all for your inputs in aiding me with my journey to correct the many neglected issues in my van. As of late I will be adding some more power steering fluid (checked and even when cold the level was barely on the stick) and searching on here for correcting the wet spots around my plugs Down the line I will be replacing the air filter (wonder when that was changed last!) too. As of now I can see only plug #4 being notably wet, but other than that she still turns on when it ain't too warm! Once again thanks and apologies for my late responses as I am still unpacking