Thread: Need help setting the base timing

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    94 previa

Need help setting the base timing

Ok so I got a 94 previa no s/c. Had some issues with the distributor so I replaced it and while replacing the starter went out. So trying to replace that too. Long story short of me trying to diagnose problems and making more I need to manually crank engine so that a.) the old starter can be removed because right now starter is lodged in with all bolts removed it’s not moving. And b.) I want to make sure that I have the distributor installed correctly and pointing at 1 spark plug.

Im having trouble finding how to do this on the internet. Also this is the biggest project I have ever attempted on any car much less this wild ass engine. I learned about the crankshaft pulley and that’s what I’m looking for to manually crank engine. Am I right so far? Now where is this located on the van? Any help or links or threads or videos that anybody knows of would be very much appreciated

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    91 Previa

Re: Need help setting the base timing

Quote Originally Posted by offman-j View Post
    Ok so I got a 94 previa no s/c. Had some issues with the distributor so I replaced it and while replacing the starter went out. So trying to replace that too. Long story short of me trying to diagnose problems and making more I need to manually crank engine so that a.) the old starter can be removed because right now starter is lodged in with all bolts removed it’s not moving. And b.) I want to make sure that I have the distributor installed correctly and pointing at 1 spark plug. ...
    As they are independent jobs, let's come back to the distributor after you get the starter fixed. Does the attached section from a 91 FSM help?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    94 previa

The starter has been on its way out for a few months, so I wasn’t surprised wen it went and could here the wheel spinning. It was the original. So I went ahead and bought a new one on rock auto. That info on the starter does confirm I got all bolts connected to it tho. And it is def very much still stuck. I read that manually turning engine will allow me to pull starter out? Is this correct?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    91 Previa

Quote Originally Posted by offman-j View Post
    ... I read that manually turning engine will allow me to pull starter out? Is this correct?
    It can't hurt (though I've had mine out a few times and never needed that). You can use the bolt at the front end of the shaft, or just put a strap wrench around the SADS and turn it a little.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    97 Previa DX SC AWD...alive! 95 Previa LE SC AWD (RIP) 93 Previa LE AWD (rustbucket w/ no reverse...parts van) 91 Previa LE AWD (RIP)