Thread: front end noise

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    97 Previa DX SC AWD...alive! 95 Previa LE SC AWD (RIP) 93 Previa LE AWD (rustbucket w/ no reverse...parts van) 91 Previa LE AWD (RIP)

front end noise

Can't figure out what it is. It doesn't do it when the wheels are straight, and it doesn't do it when the car isn't moving. It has a rubbery, squeaky quality at low speeds but becomes more of a whistling chirping sound at higher speeds. It worsens on acceleration. The belts appear to be OK and I don't get any abnormal sounds from the power steering at rest. Fluid is fine.

It really seems like its a right front wheel issue, but I've checked the rotor and pads and don't see anything wrong, though I haven't pulled the caliper. It isn't a typical wheel bearing sound, and the right wheel feels the same as the left, which is quiet. The tires are fine and show no signs of rubbing or uneven wear.

I'm baffled. I will try and get a sound file uploaded.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    97 Previa DX SC AWD...alive! 95 Previa LE SC AWD (RIP) 93 Previa LE AWD (rustbucket w/ no reverse...parts van) 91 Previa LE AWD (RIP)

Re: front end noise

Let's see if this works. This is the sound going around in circles, but the wheel is not turned all the way. This isn't the greatest recording and makes it sound a lot more like a power steering issue than it does in real life.

https://cdn.sndup.net/658p/noise.wav...res=1632516179

well it was working but the link is dead now...the webhost did something
    Last edited by Previologist; 09-24-2021 at 07:15 PM.

My Van(s):
    1989 Cargo Van A/T 2WD; 268k on the clock & counting!

Ain't got no business with Previas at all, but my Saturn does the same thing. Have you checked your splash guards in the wheel wells for any signs of rubbing? Sounds eerily familiar. Might be that or not

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

I do have splash guard rubbing in the same area the noise is coming from. But I've known about that for a long time, and this is a new noise. So I don't think its that.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

https://streamable.com/4g2mfs

This is the sound at low speed where its squeakier and squinkier. Kinda hard to get it at higher speeds where it sounds more whistley and metallic, and my connection is too damn slow to upload larger files.

Its gotta be either wheel bearing or brakes...but doesn't sound like either

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

I think we can add a new sound to the lexicon of bad wheel bearing sounds. I checked it just a couple weeks ago and wasn't sure but there is definitely play in it now.

That's the good news. The bad news is this is not a home job for me. Oh well, whats a few hundred more in my $8000 Previa...
    Last edited by Previologist; 09-27-2021 at 05:36 PM.

My Van(s):
    92 previa

Strut mount

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

I don't think so. That's more of a clunking sound