Thread: 1987 Van Overdrive Solenoid Bypass

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Van Wagon 2w LE

1987 Van Overdrive Solenoid Bypass

This question is regarding the overdrive solenoid, or more specifically, the bypass module that Tim (thank you by the way) posted (link at bottom of post) being sold on eBay for Volvo transmissions that fits our vans as well. My question is, after looking at the unit itself, what is to stop me from just fashioning a piece of metal flashing or some other thin, flat material that could withstand the heat and so forth and bolt that down in place. The metal doesn't appear to be a specific kind as I found other plates as well claiming to do the same thing.

Really, I am just curious if it is a feasible idea to save 25 bucks plus shipping.

And if it is a matter of the circular cut out on the original solenoid, couldn't you fill that in first with gasket sealer (or something along those lines since the part is done for anyways) to keep it flush?

Again, I am just curious. That and I love my van. I don't need one of my hair brained ideas going awry and having way more to fix then the nuisance of no overdrive.

Thanks All

https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...hp/t-6149.html
    The second eBay post at the bottom of the thread is still available, for those who are wondering.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Van Wagon 2w LE

Re: 1987 Van Overdrive Solenoid Bypass

So my curiosity got the better of me, and yes a flat plate with a rubber o ring (I pulled mine from the old Solenoid) will work to return the over drive to working status. Made my part in about ten minutes using the solenoid as a guide for shape and hole placement and that was it. The transmission didn't even hesitate to drop into OD when I drove it next.