Thread: Rear Wheel Cylinder Inquiry

My Van(s):
    1989 Cargo Van A/T 2WD; 269k on the clock & counting!

Question Rear Wheel Cylinder Inquiry

So, after pain-stakingly changing both drum brake shoes for the first time in my life ever today I encountered a leaking Wheel Cylinder, passenger side, that appears to be leaking from the right rubber portion a substantial amount when fiddled with (pushing the inside pistons back and forth with the shoes off) And after re-assembling it, the brake fluid level was about 1/2 an inch lower between the fill lines after the job was completed (about 4-5 hours later.) Air probably seeped into the lines hence why the brakes are more spongy than usual. Looking for an OEM Toyota Part # for the Wheel Cylinders to no avail unfortunately, hopefully not NLA if anyone can slide it over for me very appreciated. Found some aftermarket ones on Autozone for $13/a pair if I can't find OEM. Question begging now is: worth rebuilding or replacing? Both Wheel Cylinders are still original and I believe the left hand one is about due too considering its rubber is shot but not leaking. Friend looked at the wheel cylinder and said it could be rebuilt for cheaper. Thoughts/Input anyone?

<- a very satisfied me after doing this today!!!

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Re: Rear Wheel Cylinder Inquiry

I looked on-line and the OEM part is still available part number 47550-30120 @ $51~ each.

JDM

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Given parts availability these days, grab what you can locally and get your ride on the road.
    Keep the old ones and when you get time, overhaul them.
    Hopefully you can find OEM parts but A/M will do in a pinch.
    As long as the bleeder screws come out and the bores aren't scored/pitted, you should be good to go.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

And nothing beats new OEM, at any price

My Van(s):

Thanks JDM VANMAN, will be seeing which Toyota site has 'em cheapest. Also Burnboot thanks for your input too. Always trusted OEM since I got this thing running 'cause its never let me down since!

My Van(s):

Pulled the trigger on getting a rebuild kit. Let's see how this goes. (5$ for a kit, sheesh!)

My Van(s):

Whew, guess putting off the cylinders has finally caught up to me!
    Both sides' cylinders are leaking now, brake fluid and system definitely need servicing, and my front right inner brake pad nearly exploded because the clip to mount it into the caliper was bent during installation and as such led to its failure! Luckily AutoZone has life-time warranty so this should be covered. Need to check if I have any parts required for this job (and bleeding the brakes, that'll be something to do down there too) like the wheel cylinders and another pair of jackstands since I only got two right now...

Question is right now, before I do anything, is where does one put the jackstands in the front? I know for the rear the leaf spring hangers/mounts whatever you call em are good, including the rear axle I believe, but the front is a mystery since the front jacking point is only big enough for a floorjack at most so where do the jackstands go? Unless the "frame" is considered safe to put them on, just really don't want to mess up anything structural on my van. If someone could enlighten me, I would be more than envious!

My Van(s):

Quick Update:

As of my recollection of maintenance records and parts, turns out the NEW cylinders (or something related to the rear drums) are leaking, as were the old ones previously. Taking it back to the shop that did them possibly today or sometime this week. What a doozy!

My Van(s):

Ah life has been so busy these past months, now I finally have some time to kill and some wheel cylinders to rebuild! Cant remember which cylinder went to which side but the exterior boot (see attached pic) on one of them must've been like this for a while. Not sure exactly what the procedure is for doing this but I got the boots off, next is the bleeder screw and somehow to get the piston out. Nearly 7:30 at the time of this post and the mosquitos are having a buffet out of me so i might not get much done tonight but I'll keep this posted Name:  16600986126705739830105575897833.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  97.7 KB

My Van(s):

Haven't been up-to-date here but I got accepted into an automotive technical school recently, I'll see if I can bring my Van into the shop tomorrow and finally figure out the dang wheel cylinder issue

My Van(s):
    92 previa

Quote Originally Posted by 89van View Post
    Haven't been up-to-date here but I got accepted into an automotive technical school recently, I'll see if I can bring my Van into the shop tomorrow and finally figure out the dang wheel cylinder issue
    AWESOME ... send up pics!