Thread: Odometer Stopped Working

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd LE

Odometer Stopped Working

Hello TVT! Long time reader first time poster here.

As the title suggests my odometer has ceased functioning in my 1987 4WD LE automatic. Along with that my cruise control is offline. The speedometer hasn't worked for years, but I didn't care very much as the odometer kept rolling over and I could use GPS to know how slow I was going. After digging around here and the internet for the last couple of days, it seems to me the odometer works in tandem with a signal from the vehicle speed sensor in the transfer case sent to the ecu and received in the instrument cluster. Since I'm not having trouble with gear changes in the transmission I'm guessing the vss in the transfer case is working and my problem lies elsewhere as indicated by my loss of the cruise control function. Any ideas here? I'm hoping a "new" cluster will solve the problem or its a fuse somewhere, but I'm also curious/nervous if this is a warning sign of a bigger problem and if it's ok to drive the van around as is until I can get it fixed. I'm not worried about the inaccurate reading on the odometer as I don't plan on selling this van but would like to have an accurate record of mileage to keep track of for service intervals.

I would appreciate any insights you all have.

Thanks for being here TVT!

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Re: Odometer Stopped Working

Welcome the forum, I probably don’t have the correct answer for you but can give you a couple things to consider. Have a look at this link it has a diagram of the transfer case-

https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...eedometer+gear

Maybe your question can be best answered in this thread-

https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...eedometer+gear

Good luck

JDM

My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota Van cargo van (with windows) & coil springs, 2wd - owned for over 32years, it been stolen 3 times, 2016 Ford E250 & 3 cars, but I drive my buggy as the main vehicle.

Re: Odometer Stopped Working

Took mine to an odometer shop in my area. $!30.00 dollars later its been working fine. Just maybe there is one in your area. Good luck, sorry I will never have a mechanic answer. I just pay to play this game.