Thread: Steering Wheel Shenanigans

My Van(s):
    1989 Cargo Van A/T 2WD; 269k on the clock & counting!

Unhappy Steering Wheel Shenanigans

So, yesterday I took it into my own hands to attempt at fixing the horn contacts in the steering wheel/column and boy I believe I have the power of King Midas as King Mess-up because for some reason in trying to extend the round horn contact plate with a muffler gasket I trimmed to size (very conveniently fit too), an incredibly simple fix from the "how i fixed my broken horn" thread, but installed incorrectly (put the gasket first, in front of the horn contact) now there's 3 main issues:

1. Horn does not work (obviously )
    2. the Headlamps & Hi-beams now do not turn on (something in the dash clicks for Headlamps but not for the hi-beams) [Running lights do work]
    Not a big deal the following issue is but when putting it back together, I didn't correctly align the steering wheel when remounting it so now its at a 30 degree angle like this > when driving straight (not big of an issue but its there to remind me)

Sheesh!
    The main issue is number 2 as I usually go at night to pick up stuff and not having either headlamps or hi-beams and only having running lights is a big drawback since my eyesight at night isn't the best. I probably will not be able to look at it soon but if I could get some info (maybe jostled a connection somewhere in the steering column) it would be very, very appreciated for some help/input/speculation

Link to refurbishing/replacing horn contacts for those interested: https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...highlight=horn

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: Steering Wheel Shenanigans

Is the "gasket" still incorrectly installed?

My Van(s):

Nope, removed it today (Fell apart inside the steering column but its just sitting at the bottom of the column shroud) and also conveniently lost the rubber cap to the OBD Port too (landed on a shelf of the body in between the motor and the airbox ). Everything has been put together as I found it, and in addition the steering wheel is still incorrectly aligned, now being tilted facing the other way now. Man, I got a LOT to learn about this little van...

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

The problems you are encountering are more about your procedure, than they are peculiarities of the van.

The procedure for removing the steering wheel is pretty universal.
    (I can see air bags changing things up a little, but its still just a splined shaft affair)
    The thread you linked to, mentioned in both word and picture, to mark the shaft/wheel, the point of that is to ease reassembly.

The fix isn't difficult, just remove steering wheel and reposition correctly.
    Find yourself a nice big quiet parking lot and keep at it till its right.
    You can move it one tooth at a time, until you find the right spot.
    Just don't tighten the big nut, till you're done.

Are all the light and horn issues sorted now that its assembled correctly?

My Van(s):

Post Re: Steering Wheel Shenanigans

Haven't had time to check since this thing gets used everyday. Issues are still persisting but I've noticed toying around with the controls and what still needs to be done/checked:

The Hi-beam does sound like it clicks when the switch is pulled towards me, when the lights are only in the off/running lights position, but not in the headlamps position.
    Headlights/Hi-beams still do not work but running lamps do
    Horn plunger needs to be replaced (banged the contact plate straight again with a rubber dead blow hammer) and still doesn't work
    Any fuses relating to the headlamps (I know one fuse behind the steering fluid access panel has a fuse relating to the headlamps but beyond this I don't know of any/where to look)

Will be doing the Valve Cover Gasket & Spark Plug tubes to help curb oil seeping into where it doesn't belong soon so I won't have time for a weekend to check this.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

If all these problems are only occurring since your repair attempt then go back over everything you have touched. You have probably missed a connection or something. It’s easy to do, especially if you’re working against a timeline. That’s ALWAYS when I make mistakes.
    There are no shortcuts unfortunately.
    Don’t start chasing “new problems” that are actually self inflicted. That never ends well.
    If you ever do manage to catch your tail, it hurts when u bite down. Btdt2