Thread: 4 Lug Tire Transfer Question

My Van(s):
    1989 Cargo Van A/T 2WD; 269k on the clock & counting!

Question 4 Lug Tire Transfer Question

Today a buddy of mine who owns a very junky Suzuki (can't remember the model name, Firenza/Forenza maybe?) said he was going to scrap it by the end of December or next year and offered me the wheels on it which are only 3 years old @ $50/tire! Still waiting on his OK to nab a tire or two off for my very old spare (so old in fact it can go down to the store and pick up some wine! ) I went over there today to test fit it and it did fit but under one underlying issue:

It needs a sort of hub ring? that goes inside the rim can't remember the name but something that goes inside where the hub hole for the wheel is since its a bit larger than my Vans hub mount thing on the rear. Should've checked the front when i was there too but oh well next time I guess!

Does anyone know the diameter of this (and what it is!) and where to find some? Think he said Harbor Freight but I'll drive over there sometime again and ask...

My Van(s):

Re: 4 Lug Tire Transfer Question

Finally got the tire, I'll take a picture of what I mean tomorrow if I have no major work schedule!

My Van(s):

If you can see from the picture I took, it's the shiny metal ring inside the rim that I'm talking about, whatever it may be called, I dont know the technical term for it. I need one of these that will fit onto the van so it fits snug on the hub for the rear. Havent test fitted it on the front but it should be fine!Name:  16423528101436201169497706413871.jpg
Views: 1561
Size:  101.4 KB

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van DX 2wd

It is called a hubcentric ring. You would need to have the measurement of the wheel hub bore (the center hole of the wheel) for the outer measurement of the ring...and the measurement of the hub on the van for the inner measurement of the ring.

Most reputable tire shops can measure these for you if you do not have dial calipers (or know how to use them properly).

My Van(s):

Thanks Cali, I will have a tire shop get me their finest hubcentric ring for my spare!

My Van(s):

Finally got around to going to Discount Tire to see if their input for a hub centric ring would work, the tech said it didn't need one and whacked the old one out as it was only for road vibrations and aluminum rims (this one is steel) Welp this'll be my emergency spare if my spare tire goes kaput and i need a spare in a pinch. Issue resolved I suppose.....