Thread: ignition delay

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    97 Previa DX SC AWD...alive! 95 Previa LE SC AWD (RIP) 93 Previa LE AWD (rustbucket w/ no reverse...parts van) 91 Previa LE AWD (RIP)

ignition delay

I'm getting a slight delay between turning the key and when cranking starts. It always cranks and starts just fine, but this delay of only a half second or so surely must be a sign of something going back. I just cleaned my battery terminals a couple weeks ago, not that it would be that anyway. In 24 years of Previa ownership, this is a new one for me.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    67 Chevy 69 Chevy 70 Chevy 96 Previa 04 Sprinter

Re: ignition delay

Your finorkle pin return spring bracket pivot bushing collar locating dowel counterbore lube groove is corroded.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    91 Previa

Quote Originally Posted by tbuyan View Post
    Your finorkle pin return spring bracket pivot bushing collar locating dowel counterbore lube groove is corroded.
    Can't argue with that -- which is why this is one of those cases where I defer to Calvin Coolidge: Don't cross problems before you come to them; they may evaporate first. And if not, you will have the advantage of a problem that lasts long enough to be diagnosed.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1992 Previa AT LE

First guess would be the starter plunger. It is perhaps not moving freely such that it takes that 1/2s between the solenoid being energized and the plunger moving. (The plunger has a conductive ring that bridges the starter motor contacts and pushes the starter gear to engage with the flywheel). I suppose the solenoid coil could be getting weak or something feeding it (the ignition switch and wiring) is iffy.

If you hear a "click" before that delay, the plunger has moved, but perhaps the contacts on the plunger/starter motor are corroded such that a good electrical connection is not immediately made.

You can get a starter repair rebuild kit inexpensively, but getting the starter out is kind of a PITA.

Second guess is the one of the high-pressure gas relays in your flux capacitor is aging out, so that sometimes when you turn the key, you throw yourself 1/2s into the past during the initial current surge. If it gets worse, check if you are at a time before so many parts have been discontinued before fixing it.
    "If you find yourself holding a sledgehammer or a crowbar, it's time for a break."

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    97 Previa DX SC AWD...alive! 95 Previa LE SC AWD (RIP) 93 Previa LE AWD (rustbucket w/ no reverse...parts van) 91 Previa LE AWD (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by John Kaufmann View Post
    Can't argue with that -- which is why this is one of those cases where I defer to Calvin Coolidge: Don't cross problems before you come to them; they may evaporate first. And if not, you will have the advantage of a problem that lasts long enough to be diagnosed.
    This has been going on for about 10 days, so its at the point to start being concerned. I don't want it to crap out 100 miles away in the desert like my last Previa did. I don't intend to start fixing what I don't know is broken but I do want to be thinking ahead and as prepared as possible. Something is happening, and its probably not good.

Quote Originally Posted by man_btc View Post
    If you hear a "click" before that delay, the plunger has moved, but perhaps the contacts on the plunger/starter motor are corroded such that a good electrical connection is not immediately made.
    I don't think it clicks beforehand but I will listen some more.

getting the starter out is kind of a PITA.
    Been there, done that, so I suppose I could do it again if I have to. Ugh.

If it gets worse, check if you are at a time before so many parts have been discontinued before fixing it
    are parts getting hard to find for Previas?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    67 Chevy 69 Chevy 70 Chevy 96 Previa 04 Sprinter

Quote Originally Posted by man_btc View Post
    Second guess is the one of the high-pressure gas relays in your flux capacitor is aging out, so that sometimes when you turn the key, you throw yourself 1/2s into the past during the initial current surge. If it gets worse, check if you are at a time before so many parts have been discontinued before fixing it.
    Dave, I detect a fault developing in the high gain antenna. I predict complete failure.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    91 Previa

Quote Originally Posted by Previologist View Post
    This has been going on for about 10 days, so its at the point to start being concerned. I don't want it to crap out 100 miles away in the desert like my last Previa did. I don't intend to start fixing what I don't know is broken but I do want to be thinking ahead and as prepared as possible. Something is happening, and its probably not good. ...
    Then you can narrow it down to the starter. (Dan is right: If we think about the circuit, what else besides mechanical friction in the solenoid plunger could produce a delay? [OK, there is the odd flux-capacitor time-shift, but those are pretty rare.])

If you want to confirm it, you could drive an audio output from the starter control wire (the one in the harness from the starter relay, not the line from the battery). I don't know the 97 layout, but for my 91 I would splice out a wire from one of the horns behind the grille (they are downstream of the horn relay contact; do not use the theft alarm horn behind the air filter, which is driven the opposite way), and run a wire from that to the solenoid control wire at the starter. If it beeps at you immediately when you turn to STart, then you can rebuild the starter.

[I've pulled mine three times for contact changes. It's not so bad.]
    Last edited by John Kaufmann; 04-13-2022 at 11:06 PM.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

I don't remember it being that awful either but it wasn't fun either. I don't have a garage, workbench or a paved driveway currently, so I'll have to do it in the dirt or in the street and I won't have the luxury of a spare vehicle either.

Yesterday the delay grew ominously long, although sometimes it doesn't delay at all. I wonder if its something I can jar loose with a rap from a crowbar or something if it freezes up completely on me before I can replace it.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    91 Previa

I don't remember it being that awful either but it wasn't fun either. I don't have a garage, workbench or a paved driveway currently, so I'll have to do it in the dirt or in the street and I won't have the luxury of a spare vehicle either.
    Ow. That hurts - heck of a way to maintain a Previa. So what would you do if you had to replace or rebuild the starter?

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

The same thing I always do. Get it done somehow. Probably in the street, where I can at last use jackstands. I won't bother rebuilding it, I'll just replace it. There's some guy with a regular shop lift in his driveway a few blocks away, I may go see what he'd charge to do it. Its kind of hard to screw that job up even on a Previa, but I won't pay $300 bucks for labor either.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Found a good price on a ProAmp starter, supposedly built in the US. Anyone know if they are any good?

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

I just cleaned my battery terminals a couple weeks ago, not that it would be that anyway.
    Actually...One of the connections seemed a little loose when I wiggled it a couple weeks ago, and the problem disappeared immediately afterward.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    91 Previa

Good. Silent Cal strikes again.