Thread: running temperature question

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 2wd

running temperature question

Hi,
    I'm a proud new owner of a 1984 van wagon. I'm looking for input on the temp of my engine. The needle on my gauge is usually around 55% and sometimes up to 75%. Is this normal? Should I be worried? I replaced the water pump and its still running a bit hot.
    thanks!

Name:  thermostat.jpg
Views: 1372
Size:  13.2 KBName:  thermostat.jpg
Views: 1372
Size:  13.2 KB

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 MasterAce Surf Grand Saloon 2CT Auto 4x4

Re: 1984 toyota van

If your van actually is raising in temperature that much on the dial (and it's not a bad dial or thermometer) then it definitely is something to worry about, and get under control.

There are a lot of threads about the cooling systems on here with a lot of useful information. What I've mainly gathered is most of the temperature dials don't move until the van is already on the edge of too hot. Presumably to hide minor fluctuations in temperature from nervous drivers.

I would try getting a digital temperature gauge installed so you know exactly how hot it's getting, and have the entire cooling system checked.

(I don't know where the needle is supposed to rest in the '84 van, but on my MasterAce, it's right in the middle. If it moves up even a millimeter, I turn on the heater to dump some heat.)

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 2wd

Re: running temperature question

Did lots of digging and found the info I need.
    I can’t figure out how to delete this thread though. 😮