Thread: Looking for compatible clutch stateside that will fit 4wd 3c-t townace

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1996 Townace

Looking for compatible clutch stateside that will fit 4wd 3c-t townace

I have a 96 townace and am looking for a clutch kit. I keep seeing info suggesting that the 22re clutch fits but nothing really confirming. Anyone have any insite?

My Van(s):
    1996 liteace 4wd 2.2l turbo diesel

Re: Looking for compatible clutch stateside that will fit 4wd 3c-t townace

I am doing a clutch on my 1996 liteace right now, except that it's snaining sideways right through my open carport, so now I'm in here drinking tea and "researching." I stopped by a friend's to borrow a clutch alignment tool, my clutch was a larger overall diameter than the one from his 1994 toyota pickup, which is the V6. The spline count and pilot bearing were a match though, so in a pinch it would likely work, but who's in that much of a pinch?
    Knowing that the US market vans also have the same G53 transmission as our JDM diesel cousins, I would start by looking at that clutch. Different motor, but so is the 22re... Did the pickups have a g53? The evidence I can find online simply states "g series"
    I got my clutch through this site:
    https://toyota.epc-data.com/lite_ace/
    I could not get a toyota match, but the korean one they were able to get was of good quality. They may have the toyota OEM in stock by now.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1996 Townace

was the pressure plate the same?

My Van(s):
    1996 liteace 4wd 2.2l turbo diesel

It seems to me that the clutch on the previa would be a good bet. Pressure plates, however, seem unlikely to overlap as much, as they are attached to different motors, with completely different flywheel designs, etc. I did not change my pressure plate this time, as I didn't think that was a "wear part," and figured my OEM toyota(turned out to be Aisin) was likely the best around. Somebody correct me if they find the springs on these wear out easily.
    One thing to note, when the transmission is out, it is easy to change u-joints in the otherwise difficult to remove front driveshaft. My driveshaft had a bad one after only 100K miles or so. It would be wise to have something on hand for replacement while the shaft is out.