Thread: Transfer case shift cable routing

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Van, 1987, 4wd, LE

Transfer case shift cable routing

On my van the cable coming off the shift lever for the transfer case is pushed up against the edge of the hole it goes through, because of some sheet metal on the inside of the wall.

a.jpg b.jpg

This destroyed the grommet making a path for noise and fumes. I was going to replace it but I wonder if anyone has come up with a better way to route it so it has a better path. The cables for the transmission go nicely right through the middles of the holes.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: Transfer case shift cable routing

That isn't the way it's supposed to be, you need to find out why it is displaced.

Either it hasn't been installed correctly or theres something bent/damaged underneath.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Van, 1987, 4wd, LE

ok, here's a pic of the inside, the cable comes through the hole and gets wedged against the wall. I guess it should go into the wall? (where the green line is.) I can't how it would exit. How is yours routed?

IMG_6737.jpg

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

The cable should exit the centre of the hole, just like the transmission control cables do.

The problem is with how the cable has been installed, not where the hole is.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Van, 1987, 4wd, LE

Sure, it's not the hole, the issue is with the cable, I agree. But how should it be installed? After it goes through the middle of the hole from the cabin side, how is it supposed to be routed on the engine side?

Can anyone describe what it looks like on the engine side, or maybe take a picture?

Thanks! I appreciate the help.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Van, 1987, 4wd, LE

I looked at this a little bit this weekend.

Looking at the parts diagram, there are what they call a "collar" that each leg of the gear shift asm sits on and that are missing on my van. It's possible that this could change the angle that the transfer shift asm sits at slightly and that improves the alignment of the cable. I tried just stacking washers under 2 of the feet of the transfer shift asm, and it did help a little to move the cable closer to the center of the hole. Still pretty off center though.

But the bigger problem seems to be that the cable goes into the hole, then has to immediately bend around the edge of the cutout inside that all 3 shift cables go through. This is always going to stress the cable and seems like a weird design. In the first pic the orange circle is the hole that we can partially see, you can see how the cable is lined up to go to the edge of the hole.
    IMG_6775.jpg

This is from the rear. (cable was disconnected in this pic so it was just floating free, that's why it's not up against the edge)
    IMG_6782.jpg

I'd start hacking away at sheet metal but I'd kind of like to know what it's supposed to look like before I do. If any 4wd owners can post a picture of the underside of the engine cover where the cables are that would be really helpful, to help figure out what's different about mine.

Anyway sorry for the essay. thanks for any help folks!

Peter

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

There is supposed to be a clamp that holds all 3 cables together.
    In your first pic, you can see the mounting hole in the frame, for the clamp, upper right hand corner, in-between the transmission shifter cables.
    Sorry. camera wouldn't cooperate

Finding that clamp should solve your issues, used will be your only option, maybe try the parts page and see if anyone has a spare?
    Cutting the body is not a good idea.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Van, 1987, 4wd, LE

This thing I guess:

clip.jpg

Yeah, a lot of little things are missing from this van. The parts diagram also shows a zip tie, but it's not clear where exactly that attaches.

Anyway, thanks burntboot, that's a plan, I'll keep an eye on the scrap yards and forum.