Thread: Parking Brake cable are there replacements?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    "Hansel" The 1988 5 speed 4x4

Parking Brake cable are there replacements?

Hi all, forgive me if the parking brake cable is the same on 2wd LE vans and I am posting in the wrong place.

I believe I snapped the cable running from the E-brake handle on my 1988 4x4 LE. I can pull the loose cable with my fingers from were it attaches to the e-brake handle. I looked at Rockauto and they have the left and right cable assemblies, but I believe these are not what I am looking for.

Can anyone comment on a resource for replacement? Is this a salvage yard situation?

Thanks!

Ian

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Re: Parking Brake cable are there replacements?

Hi Ian!
    The front cable is the same for 2wd and 4wd, the rear cables are not. When I broke mine a few years ago it was not available anywhere and there were no vans in any of the reasonably local yards. I did however find a few places online that could custom make a replacement if I sent them a sample. I belive the scenario involved reusing the outer housing if necessary and replacing the cable within it along with new ends. I ended up procrastinating long enough that a van showed up in a local yard so I didn't have to go that route but it is an option. Good luck!

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Thanks for the reply! Just googled custom brake cables and some good options. I will call them tomorrow and check back in.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

No luck yet, I have called a few custom build places. They all have said that the fittings differ greatly between Toyotas (early Toyota trucks ect) and it makes it difficult to produce one that works. Still passively looking when I have time. I will try and update if I find a solution. I still keep pulling the e brake out of habit.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5spd

Your best bet imo is to get a kit like this from Amazon, Wilwood 330-9371 Parking Brake Cable Kit https://a.co/d/fFCRmVp. Even if you can find one from a junker it's going to be 30+ years old and the rubber dust boots will probably be crumbly.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Thanks! Do you have any experience using the kit?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5spd

I dont. I bought one to do the cables on my 87 mr2 since a single side oem cost 150+ at the time and the kit was only 100, and I haven't got to doing them yet. I'd wager the same kit would work on our vans

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

I got around to buying and installing some parts. I pulled the broken out ebrake cable out of the cable housing and ran the new aftermarket cable through it. The cable I purchase from eBay had nearly the same barrel-end but has a smaller cable diameter (3/16”). It did require some filing to get it to fit into rear split-lever. I also needed to modify the ebrake handle in order to get the ebrake shortening kit to fit. I am not confident that the cable will last long, and likely to fail at the shortening kit bolt. The cable is threaded through a hole that is in the bottom of the shortening kit bolt, a perpendicular Allen bolt secures the cable in place. So that is likely to slip after repeated use.

The modifications I made to the ebrake handle will still allow me to use an OEM brake cable, if I ever wind up tracking one down.

here are the links to the parts.
    https://socalautoparts.com/product/c...hardware-incl/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09VCVH228...9890_445922140

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Proace

Hello. Here are the cable numbers that can be modified to replace your cable in the future if it breaks:
    Beck Arnley 093-0477
    Raybestos BC92729
    Dorman C660024