Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Fuel Injector(s)

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Cargo Conversion 4x4 manual 4Y 1987 Toyota VAN LE 4x4 AUTO 4Y and another identical one for parts

Re: Replacing Fuel Injector(s)

Great job getting your van running!!! Superb pictures and write-ups too with excellent Tim AND llamavan advice! I have a 4Y but I still feel like I learned plenty from the read. Spindrift--here is where I can help: I am an Eastern Oregon native and as a fellow Toyotavan owner, feel free to ask me anything about the area. And I hope you are not talking about Bend cause that's central Oregon to us out here. I have recently gotten my 1987 4x4 Cargo Conversion up and rolling all around the hills. This last weekend my son and I drove the Hells Canyon Loop road from Halfway to Joseph and it was awesome! If you have any questions about must-sees, dining tips, camping advice, or just about anything else, feel free to message me. Our vans were built for the adventures Eastern Oregon provides!
    Last edited by JFratzke; 06-26-2012 at 02:57 PM.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    '85 Vanwagon

Thank you! Yes and thank you to Tim and Llamavan for the great advice. Hopefully I am going to get this thing licensed today.

Thanks for the offer. Where are you in Eastern Oregon? My girl is actually from Nyssa. She turned me onto the Alvord a couple of years ago when we were coming back from Yosemite. I was resistant at first to go so far out of the way but it changed me... I became obsessed with E Oregon. Got back into motorcycles just so I could ride out there. If it all comes together we will be out there the week of the fourth. Be great to meet you. I would love to check out a 4x4 now that I am a van junkie. That sounds like the ultimate.

We went to hells canyon last year and actually saw that alpha female wolf right beside the road. We argued whether it was a coyote or wolf all the way home then my girl looked it up and there she was... wolf... almost black. We also did Leslie gulch which totally blew my mind. Had no idea we had our own Utah out there. If you live out there you are truly blessed. Hope to run into you one of these days.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    '85 Vanwagon

Oh I see now... Cove Oregon. I have no idea where that is.

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Cargo Conversion 4x4 manual 4Y 1987 Toyota VAN LE 4x4 AUTO 4Y and another identical one for parts

Right on! Glad to see you've already found some of the treasures out here (Hells canyon and the Alvord). Most folks in Portland refer to the Bend area as Eastern Oregon when that couldn't be further from the truth. Heck, Bend is a 5 1/2 hour drive from here! I live in Cove, about 15 minutes from La Grande, nestled up against the foothills of the Eagle Cap Mountains. There is so much country out here to explore! And the crowds haven't found it yet, which is the best part. Adventurous Portlanders are starting to come out here more and more but for the most part, you can find some serious solitude here if that is what you are looking for. If you haven't done it yet, a favorite for me is a trip up to Joseph and Wallowa Lake. Lots to see and do up there and tons of places for van-camping. Message me and let me know what you are wanting to do and I can point you in the right direction. I also work at a reputable auto dealership, which is a great resource to have when you own one of our vans. Stay in touch and happy travels! You're going to love road tripping in the van!!!!

My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van 2WD 394K (Re-ringed Engine at 300K, Replaced HG, Still has original timing chain and oil pump) 1989 Toyota Van 2WD Purchased @ 171K now 220K

I was right about to do an oil change and then I noticed this gas leak on my van. It looks like its coming from the fuel pulsation dampner because when I touch it underneath etc I get gas on my hand. I also had a puddle of gas just hanging out in the cradle of my exhaust manifold. Im so glad I noticed this as I would never want my van to burn down.

So do I just buy the fuel pulsation dampner? Any gaskets to go with it? Thanks alot.

Heres a picture of what I discovered. Should I just replace this or try tightening it?
    Name:  FPD.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  37.9 KB

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

It's sealed to the fuel rail with two copper washers. Unless it's really loose, these are not likely to leak. The pulsation damper has a rubber diaphragm inside & after 20 something years it's not unusual for these to deteriorate and fail. Don't mess around here, these dampers have been responsible for several vans burning up. Don't even drive the van to the parts store. Borrow a car until you can get it replaced. The copper washers should be replaced too. Tim

My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van 2WD 394K (Re-ringed Engine at 300K, Replaced HG, Still has original timing chain and oil pump) 1989 Toyota Van 2WD Purchased @ 171K now 220K

Will do Tim, Thanks again. I drove my other car to the toyota parts store and ordered both gaskets and the FPD. Parts wont be in until wednesday of next week so my van will sit in my driveway until then.

I truly believe in faith and things of that nature. It was Valentines Day this week a very busy holiday for our family owned Florist. I drove this van into the ground this whole week averaging 100-140 miles a day. Finally on Valentines day I felt as it was running rough, in my head I thought it probably needs new spark plugs which it could possibily use since it has been 50K since I changed them but it was probably due to the weak gas pressure because of this leak. Something told me not to drive it yesterday and to give it a break. I didnt and then today I was going to do an oil change and drive away but noticed this. Glad I didnt drive it yesterday it could have gone. Glad I am not driving it for all of the money invested in it. I recently fixed my differential noise last week.

I even have a friend in this area who cant really speak english. He has a high mileage van and keeps a fire extinguisher in it. He told me one of his friends van's caught on fire one time.

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

Here is the thread on replacing the fuel pulsation damper.

The "running rough" you describe, and also starting hard, is what I experienced just before discovering that a FPD had started to leak.

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '88 4x4 5 speed manual

Noticed a bit of fraying on injector 1 connector wire - still hanging on and van runs ok, but looking a bit dicey at best.

Wondering if anyone has documented the specific process Tim outlines in this section of this thread (pic below)?

Ideally I would love to clean that whole area up (spray degreaser?) and replace that wire ( and connector?), but may be best to just leave it alone.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

#1 injector connector is the most exposed and the most likely to fail. The good news is it's also the easiest to replace (no need to split the manifold). #2 is a little more difficult, but still accessible enough (forget about #3 & #4). That #1 connector in your picture looks pretty rough. If that were mine I'd at least replace that one.

Because your van is an 88, The type connector(s) you need are "bottom slot Denso injector connectors". As far as I know these are only available through the aftermarket (somewhat questionable quality). The only other option is to go to a salvage yard and pull from a 90's Suburu (that's what I do). Here's a couple links to aftermarket connectors on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/i/152543170429?chn=ps

https://www.ebay.com/i/262880271800?chn=ps

Here's a link to a thread that explains the different (similar) types of Denso connectors: https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...ng-Head-Gasket

And finally here's a post where I talk about building your own removable injector harness (84 - 87 van): https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...ng-Head-Gasket

And for 88/89 van: https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...=5828#post5828

Keep in mind if you build a removable harness you'll also need to remove the upper half of the intake manifold (which I would avoid until other more urgent work requires you to do so). Good luck. Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '88 4x4 5 speed manual

thanks Tim - very thorough!

I think I'll go for just 1 & 2 connectors for now. Leave the injectors in place and just grab those Denso connectors + pigtails you referenced.

So just unclip (pry?) the connectors off and then pigtail the new connector to the old harness, right?

Any tricks to getting the plastic disconnected from the injector or any other plastic bits on the injector itself that I should be careful of since I am guessing the whole unit will be pretty brittle?

Also - is it OK to just spray some degreaser all over the area so I can see what I am doing? With the distributor is on other side I should be safe (?)

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

When you get the new connectors you will see the part you pinch to release them. With that knowledge you should be able to just pinch and pull the old ones off. The eBay ones I referenced come with short pigtails of wire. Cut the old wire back a bit from the old connector, strip and attach the new connector. You could use standard butt connectors, but due to the critical nature of these, I highly recommend soldering then protecting with shrink tubing.

Yes, you should be able to spray with an engine degreaser and or other such chemicals. If you use carb cleaner or something harsh, it can damage paint and maybe some plastic parts. I would also check the product for flammable warnings and take appropriate precautions. I personally use Mineral Spirits paint thinner as it cleans well without damaging paint or plastic. After the chemical treatment I use a pressure washer on a low pressure setting to finish the job and flush the flammable thinner off the engine.

After rinsing, if doing the passenger side of the engine, I will usually pull and dry the inside of the distributor & cap with compressed air. A 15 minute drive down the highway after flushing will finish drying the engine and surrounding areas. Tim

PS: My local ACE hardware has mineral spirits in a spray can......haven't been able to find it like that anywhere else (I like using that for the smaller projects). For the bigger cleaning projects I usually purchase by the gallon and spray it with a chemical sprayer tool I have.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '88 4x4 5 speed manual

perfect - thanks so much Tim!

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    IG:@dialupthevan 89 - 2WD - 201k 87 - 4WD - 188K

This is a fantastic write up! Unfortunately, I'm having trouble finding a replacement injector for my 89, Any one have a brand/part # I can reference in my search?

Thanks in advance
    That smells like regular! She needs premium DUDE! PREMIUM!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by Jdelgado View Post
    This is a fantastic write up! Unfortunately, I'm having trouble finding a replacement injector for my 89, Any one have a brand/part # I can reference in my search?

Thanks in advance
    88 - 89 vans used Toyota part #23209-73010 which was not terribly common and is now NLA. You may be still be able to find these that are rebuilt and/or you could take your originals in to an injector service to have them cleaned/tested. If all else fails, the Bosch injectors used from 84 - 87 can be interchanged. Everything will fit except the elect harness connections. The Bosch injectors are very common and can be found pretty much anywhere auto parts are sold. Even the elect harness connectors are common and can be easily found. If you go this route, you should spend some extra time to be sure the electrical connections are done well and sealed (solder and shrink tube is recommended).

PS: If you change one to Bosch, I would recommend changing them all.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    IG:@dialupthevan 89 - 2WD - 201k 87 - 4WD - 188K

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    88 - 89 vans used Toyota part #23209-73010 which was not terribly common and is now NLA. You may be still be able to find these that are rebuilt and/or you could take your originals in to an injector service to have them cleaned/tested. If all else fails, the Bosch injectors used from 84 - 87 can be interchanged. Everything will fit except the elect harness connections. The Bosch injectors are very common and can be found pretty much anywhere auto parts are sold. Even the elect harness connectors are common and can be easily found. If you go this route, you should spend some extra time to be sure the electrical connections are done well and sealed (solder and shrink tube is recommended).

PS: If you change one to Bosch, I would recommend changing them all.

I sent all 4 to be cleaned/tested, Unfortunately 1 out of the 4 wasn't able to be salvaged. Which I believe was the problematic one to begin with. I'm hoping to find a replacement injector I can pop into slot 1 until I can source a good OEM one to get rebuilt. My Van has been down for a few months due to a bunch of other repairs, so this is the only set back at the moment. Thanks again Tim, I appreciate all the help!
    That smells like regular! She needs premium DUDE! PREMIUM!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

There's 1 on eBay for $55 + another $8 in shipping: https://www.ebay.com/i/331783985624?...waAnFwEALw_wcB

Better snatch it up quick as it's his last one. Tim

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

Is the place of origin china? That doesn't look like Japanese characters to me?
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

Scrolled down the detail page: Country of manufacture: unknown.
    Shipped from Taiwan.
    I smell gas somewhere. Tim?
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

It does have the OE Toyota number in the title and the listing states "NEW OE/GENUINE ITEM WITHOUT GENUINE/OE ORIGINAL PACKAGE" but I agree, it does look fishy. I don't recall ever seeing these made with blue plastic uppers before, but does that mean it's a fake??? Then there's the whole eBay thing.......I've been ripped off and have been sold counterfeit (junk) items off there before. I guess it's worth saying "buyer beware, proceed at own risk" Tim