Thread: Liteace 2 front door speakers remove/install

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    Vandi -'93 LiteAce 2CT, Auto, 4wd, Skylite!

Liteace 2 front door speakers remove/install

bought some 4" speakers off amazon, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    got the nerve to pop off the 26 year old door paneling to get to the speakers and I was pleasantly surprised that they came off with out tearing thru the cardboard backing or plastic pop rivets breaking, of which as a reference both my '96 Corrola and '99 4Runner did.
    only 3 screws, one where door latch is, one where door handle is and one near the dash, it is covered by a plastic cap.

IMG-1196.jpg
    IMG-1198.jpg
    IMG-1199.jpg

It did have some, what I believe to be white lithium grease on the clear plastic barrier, not sure why or how it got sprayed there but it wiped off easy.
    Now for the stock speakers,
    IMG-1200.jpg

the 2 screws came out easy but the speaker did not want to budge. hit a few times popped right out, no damage to bracket.

The new speaker holes did not line up good enough with the stock bracket so drilled some new small holes and had some bolts,nuts and lock washers from a bolt kit bought from Harbor Freight.
    I spliced the lines, put the blue to positive. hoped it was correct because the old stock speaker didnt show which side was what.

IMG-1202.jpg

seems to work fine.
    IMG-1205.jpg

Just need a better radio, the current one is trash and wont turn on every time, may be a short but one thing is for sure, it was a very cheap radio and I can hear parts rattling around in it. so planning on buying a new one with brackets because its currently sliding around in the double height spot in the dash.

For those who want to chance putting a larger than stock up front.
    IMG-1204.jpg

Not sure about clearance more than its not a perfect 5" diameter circle and I didn't check the depth.
    anything is possible with a harbor freight near.
    I was a member for 2 years before I bought my van.
    Vandi-

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Re: Liteace 2 front door speakers remove/install

Just need a better radio, the current one is trash and wont turn on every time, may be a short but one thing is for sure, it was a very cheap radio and I can hear parts rattling around in it. so planning on buying a new one with brackets because its currently sliding around in the double height spot in the dash.
    So this is funny.

https://youtu.be/99UDmpJmrLc<a href="https://youtu.be/99UDmpJmrLc" target="_blank">

Vandi-

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1990 Hiace Super Custom 4WD diesel

Beep 2x to shut off?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    89 Townace 2CT 4wd 88 Vanwagon Auto 4WD

Man, Liteace's are way different than Townace's

I ordered the same speaker for my Townace and all I had to do was removed the stock speaker grill, then the speaker. Splice in the new wires and reinstall. No door panel removal nothing. Plug and place. Ended up using the grill that came with the speakers. All fit perfect.

Bad news is I ordered the rear speakers and spent all the time pulling the rear panel and my Van never had stock speakers or wire running back there

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    89 Townace 2CT 4wd 88 Vanwagon Auto 4WD

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1990 Hiace Super Custom 4WD diesel

Quote Originally Posted by cusco-awd View Post
    Man, Liteace's are way different than Townace's
    which are different from my Hiace.
    Same speaker, in the lower dash. My pickups of the same years also had the same setup.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

I was working on Vandi today and noticed I have a location for an extra speaker under the steering wheel.
    I may add a another if I can before getting a new radio.

Also was glad I pulled off cus was filthy.

dash1.jpg
    Vandi-

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 4x4 Townace, Super Extra White Edition, JDM

I know this his an old thread but I'm hoping folks are still around. I have a JDM 88' Townace and I REALLY want to cut into the door panel to put some speakers. The dash ones are the only one's I have and the rear hatch has spaces but no speakers. I'm curious if anyone has any images of their Townace with the panel off... I'm hoping there are holes back there already and the option for the doors was just different panels.

If not I'll just have to pop my door panels and I'll keep you updated. I'll likely model and 3D print some grills that will look stock to the style of our vans. If that's the case I'll post the files up for other folks.

Cheers