Thread: Fuel light always on

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Townace YR20 1985

Fuel light always on

The fuel light in my 1985 YR20 Townace is always on ever since after I stripped most of the interior, welded several patches and repainted everything - oh and I replaced pretty much all of the gauge cluster lights with LEDs.
    The fuel gauge works fine, it's just that the yellow fuel warning light is always on. All other warning lights seem to behave normally.

I am now wondering if there might be a fuel door sensor that I broke (or maybe prevented from closing contact properly) during my painting efforts?

Any idea if that light should only be on when fuel is low or if it might also double as an indicator for an open fuel door?

Any other thoughts on why it may be always on?

Thank you.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: Fuel light always on

Did the fuel light stay on before doing all this work?
    Most times, new problems that occur right after a repair are usually self inflicted.
    You need to go back over everything you did and make sure all is as it should be, maybe you pinched a wire, maybe something isnt hooked up correctly.

LED's cause all sorts of issues and are quite possibly contributing.
    You will need to remove them all, install the proper bulbs and continue the diagnosis from there.
    Once the issues are resolved then you can go back to making "improvements"

As to gas door, I think you may be reaching, even if there was a "gas door open" switch, I would think it would illuminate a "door open warning" not a
    "low fuel" warning??

Good luck