Thread: Engine starts and dies 86 van

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota van

Engine starts and dies 86 van

Hi all, need some help. in the deep end of the pool now.

I have a 86 2wd van from my dad that I am reviving. Solved many issues and car starts and turns over but dies within a sec or two. If I crank it right after that it does worse and worse if I try back to back. Seems to do better when I let it sit for a bit.

Started with spark and verified all 4 cylinders are getting spark. Used a spark tester. Inspected plugs and they are gapped right and a bit fouled but still sparking. Battery so topped off and charged fully.

Then I verified pressure and flow of fuel. Followed Tim’s post on pressure regulator and measured 41PSI off the cold start feed tube when I jumped the pump test connector. The manual has the range 33-38psi. Not sure 3 PSI is significant or a sign of a PFR failure. I opened the release valve on the pressure meter and verified a healthy flow of fuel with the pump running. Anyone know how much 3psi difference makes? I read the O2 sensor should compensate for small PSI over/under.

Fuel injectors are next but I would think if the car turns and the pressure and flow are ok that they are prob working.

Running out of ideas. Any help would be great.

Thanks all
    Evans
    Last edited by Metalghost; 12-01-2022 at 12:07 PM.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 automatic

Re: Engine starts and dies 86 van

Are you getting any engine fault codes?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota van

Re: Engine starts and dies 86 van

No codes showing up. But I can get into the mode and check. But nothing so far.