Thread: intermittent sputtering and stalling in 84 - fuel pump/filter?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 LE Manual

intermittent sputtering and stalling in 84 - fuel pump/filter?

I was cruising along in my 84 van when it suddenly started sputtering and losing power. I started giving it gas and it seemed to respond long enough to get out of traffic and stop. I turned it off and when I tried to start up again, it cranked and cranked but showed no signs of life.

I called AAA for a tow, and while I was waiting I kept trying to start but nothing happened - cranking with no attempts to start - like I was out of gas but I definitely was not. Finally, after about ten minutes, it started up and ran just fine.

It seemed like a fuel issue, so I immediately thought of the fuel pump and/or filter. I know that neither had been replaced in probably over ten years, so I bought replacement parts.

After replacing the fuel filter, it seemed to run better for a while, with more power, but then it started the whole sputtering business again. I checked for codes, and everything is normal.

I'm going to replace the fuel pump, but I've been reading other threads and thinking maybe the fuel pressure regulator as well? I thought fuel pumps generally just stopped working when they failed. Anybody have any suggestions for what to try next?

Thanks in advance, and any help greatly appreciated!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 automatic

Re: intermittent sputtering and stalling in 84 - fuel pump/filter?

My fuel pump seemed to run ok, but the van would stall when driving at higher than idle. I checked the pressure and it was about 20 psi, which is low. I replaced the pump and then everything ran fine. The old pump sounded like it was full of gravel when I test-ran it outside of the van. My point is, the pump can be running and putting out low pressure. I'd check the fuel pressure with a gauge before replacing the pump, which is a pain since you have to drop the tank. Stores like Canadian Tire up here loan out automotive tools (like a fuel pressure gauge test kit) for free. You don't have that store down there, but I think Pep Boys might do the same in the US.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 LE Manual

Re: intermittent sputtering and stalling in 84 - fuel pump/filter?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    I'd check the fuel pressure with a gauge before replacing the pump, which is a pain since you have to drop the tank.
    You're right. I should check the pressure before replacing the pump. I'll rent a tester.

Thanks for that!