Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seat Belt questions

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van LE 5 speed manual 4WD with HiLo

Seat Belt questions

My drivers side seatbelt won't roll back down. It still springs a little bit, but only pulls back in about 6 inches from fully extended. I took off the panel and can't seem to make it roll back down... Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

If this isn't fixable, any ideas for a temporary solution?

Logan

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Seat Belt malfunction

Sounds like it's time for you to replace the seat belt. If new is still available it will likely cost around $100 - $150. Another option (what I do) is to get a used one from a salvage yard. Yards around here charge around $20 for a good one. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van (Don't have anymore) Replacement: 2008 Chevy Cobalt LT (Also don't have anymore) Current Car: 2021 Subaru Legacy Premium

Unfortunately, you won't find a used seat belt that hasn't yet been smashed by the door.

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

The OEM seat belts are NLA, although there are aftermarket seat belts. I've not tried aftermarket and can't comment on any aspect of them.

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I've found "good" ones in salvage yards before. Although "good" used Toyota belt assy's are typically far from perfect, they are still usable. Finding them still good AND the right color can be difficult. Tim

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van LE 5 speed manual 4WD with HiLo

I went through three salvage yards today before I found the right one. Wrong color, but I always liked brown anyway. I figure I can't be too picky with a van at 200k.
    Thanks

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota VAN WAGON 2wd

Seat belt questions

Hello,
    I am assembling my seats after a successful re-upholstery project. I am having trouble attaching the seat belt receptacle to the driver side seat. I attached a photo, and circled the hole in red which I am having issues with. The bolt I previously believed would fit, as circled in green is not fitting. The mystery hole must be stripped or has a different sized bolt that I misplaced? I thought the bolt sizes where all the same of these.

Has anyone undergone this process? The project took months and I can't remember the correct fitting. Next time I will take more pics.

Thanks!
    Name:  sideviewseat.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  35.7 KB

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Seat bolts

I don't have experience with this specific issue, but, typically seat belt bolts are fine thread & most other bolts are course thread. Trying to put the wrong threaded bolt in (depending on how much force you exert) can mess up the threads (so that no bolt will fit correctly). If this has happened, you may need to chase the threads in the hole & on the bolt using a correctly sized tap & die. I hope this helps. Good luck. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1985 toyota 2wd

adding a shoulder belt

hi all.
    Has anyone added a shoulder belt to their rear seats, or know if one can be added?
    1985 2wd Toyota Van

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Re: adding a shoulder belt

I don't think any of the 80's era mini vans had shoulder belts for the rear passengers cause it wasn't a DOT safety requirement. I think the 91' Previa's were the first to have them.

This is an assumption based on my 87' van and 89' that both don't have shoulder belts. But I do know that it did become a DOT requirement after a certain year but not sure when.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1985 toyota 2wd

Thanks vanman.
    I don't think it's required, but my 10 year old son has already picked out 'his' seat, and it doesn't have a shoulder belt. For safety sake I really need to add one.
    1985 2wd Toyota Van

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

I believe '89 was the year for passenger cars but it doesn't appear to apply to vans as many on here have said they have or have seen an '89 without them. I don't know if an '85 will have it but I have seen many vans in the wrecking yard that have the nuts for the upper mount welded into the body. I installed third row shoulder belts in my '88 but had to fabricate reinforcement plates for the lower mount and the retractor mount(Which mounts in the rear speaker hole). Mine had the third row upper nut but not the second row. You would have to find an "89 being parted out and hope it had the belts and trim pieces for a factory look. You could possibly install aftermarket as well. Of course the thing to remember here is the massive safety factor involved. If this is even remotely outside of your skill level than find a professional. I searched "shoulder belt on TVP and came up with a few threads that may be of help: http://www.toyotavanpeople.com/forum...a1bcdbe6d1fdc8
    Good luck.

My Van(s):

If there's no viable option then you might want to consider getting a 5 point harness booster seat that has a rear seat latch? Depending on yours son's height and weight there's some that go up to 100lbs max and 57" height.

All my younger kids are pretty thick my 6 and 5 year old daughter are both 75lbs and my 6 year old son is pushing 60lbs all are little juggernauts. They usually roll in the Suburban or the Sequoia and I only take them on short trips in the other 2 vans but they'll roll with the lap belts.

Here's a link for example of a booster seat-

http://www.target.com/p/kids-embrace...t/-/A-15007387

My Van(s):

There you go... Thank you original for adding in the link and your experience.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1985 toyota 2wd

thanks y'all.
    It's a little more complicated then I thought. I should have point out that I don't care about it appearing to be original, or how it looks at all, just safety.
    1985 2wd Toyota Van

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

1989 EPC

1988 EPC

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

I took some out of a junkyard Toyota Van-must've been an '89. I've only installed one so far but it works great in the back corner. I did have to take out the rear speaker for it.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1985 toyota 2wd

thanks, that's interesting. Mine's an '85, so I don't know if they're the same. I guess i need to investigate.
    1985 2wd Toyota Van

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

'89 is the only year that may have rear shoulder belts, have seen 3 '89 vans in various yards.
    Only one van (LE version) had all 4 belts from the factory (but sadly, they had already been removed).
    The other 2 (both DX's) were only equipped with 3 rear shoulder belts, both were missing the middle RS belt, those 2 also had a body brace across said hole where the retractor would have mounted (as does mine).

On my '88, all the lower anchor and upper pivot points were present and accounted for.
    It was only the rear "speaker" holes that lacked the welded-in nuts for install, I did inspect the mounting points of the donor vans to see if the factory had reinforced the mounting area, but found no difference to my '88.

I opted to weld nuts to oversize washers, (Gr 8, 1/2" hardware) then used body-panel adhesive to glue the O/S washers to the backside of the panel.
    (the glue is only there to locate the nut, once the bolts are in and torqued, all load is on them, not the glue)

It is a fairly simple operation, at least for the 3 positions.
    If I ever do find that mysterious 4th belt, I will have to modify the RS body support to accommodate the retractor, but it's not a high priority at this point in time.
    BB

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1985 toyota 2wd

I have an scion xb that has a center seat with a shoulder belt. I need to investigate the possiblity of fixing a belted center seat in my '85 TV.
    1985 2wd Toyota Van