Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Change your alternator ILLUSTRATED!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Change your alternator ILLUSTRATED!

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherUser View Post
    Was there a thread some where on how to protect the alternator from dripping oil and coolant?

I just replaced an alternator that was at least 10+ years old, if not far older that stopped working. It had a lot of oil in it, not sure if that was why it stopped working or not. Either way I put a new one in. I want to add some kind of cover plate to protect it from any fluids.
    At the risk of sounding like a broken record I'd like to point out there is a search feature in the upper right hand corner of every forum page (which I just used) and quickly found this: https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...ernator+shield

I would highly recommend repairing the leaks for obvious reasons, but if you use a shield, keep in mind the main alternator output stud is up high on the back of the alternator and you could potentially have a fire hazard and/or a melt-down issue if anything metallic comes in contact with it (just make sure there's good separation). Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD 5-Speed LE

Re: Change your alternator ILLUSTRATED!

As windsurfvan notes in post #26, some 4WD vans have a different configuration of the power steering rigid line and these instructions do not work. I sat there scratching my head for a while and finally removed the fan shroud (and passenger seat, service panel, etc...) which finally provided enough room to wiggle the alternator out past the fan blades. I really didn't want to open up the P/S lines. Remarkably, I've never had to remove the alternator in the 15 years I've owned this van and this one is still going strong.Name:  IMG_4579.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  89.6 KB